We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

This is one of my favorite shows on the Food Network; however, they have not done a show in Boston. What are some of the best Diners, Drive-ins and Dives in Boston?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

Frozen waffles at Victoria???!!! INCLUDE ME OUT!

I'll go to Doyle's for pancakes instead, thank you very much!

Actually, some people may consider Doyle's a dive... nah!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

I have never been to Doyle's but I hear great things about it.

They used to tell me at The Vic that the pies were homemade as well. I got one home and the BJ's label was still there.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

What could be considered dive-y about Doyle's? It's lack of a faux "martini" menu?

Boston
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

Sullivan's Tap near the Garden would classify as a dive.

I think the bar at the Hong Kong restaraunt near Fanueil Hall is pretty divey.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

Is the Down Under still in Kenmore? My college buddies used to drag me here. This was a dive in my book.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,849 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

Hi,

If my feet stick to the floor when I walk in, it's a dive.

My classic "dive" story, from my college days. There's a bar called Crossroads, on Beacon St. near Mass. Ave. I'm not sure if it's still there, but this was 20 years ago now. A bunch of us went in for late night pizza and beer.

The waitress brings out the beer and then later, the pizza. Just as she is putting the pizza on the table, she suddenly grabs the tray again and looks closely at it. She then announces "Oh, looks like another light bulb in the pizza oven must have burst...I'll get you boys a new pizza."

Seems the one she brought out was covered with shattered glass...

Now, THAT's a dive...

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,141 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

The Food Network did go to Kelly's in Somerville (I believe it was on "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives). They also went to Essex, MA to JT Farnham's.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,141 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

BeantownMan--I went to Crossroads in my college days. It was the first place I went to where you order pizza and they gave you a knife and fork to eat it. Before that, I always used my hands to eat thin crust pizza. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it is still there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

I've got a Crossroads story as well. I think the place is still there.

New England
1 post
Save Reply
20. Re: Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

RE jboston's post about the demise (how long ago?) o Flash's Snack & Soda :( I had many a good lunch there while at school in Boston. I'll never forget ordering the "special" just so I could hear the guy yell, "Feesh an' cheeps!" back to the cook in the kitchen :) I notice the sign is still there in Google's street view map but that's gotta be a couple years old by now anyway. Such a shame, at least where I live now there a bunch of good chrome diners, a couple open 24 hours too :)

-s1m0n-