We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for trip with 3 kids under 6!!!

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for trip with 3 kids under 6!!!

Looking for a FAMILY friendly AFFORDABLE hotel in the boston area and some ideas for things to do, besides the childrens museum which we will definitely do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Trip planned for 3rd week in august. we will be driving so the lodging could be outside of the city. Thanks!

Level Contributor
421 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for trip with 3 kids under 6!!!

The Museum of Science has a discovery center where children can touch all the activities and safe artifacts- lots of fun! Most kids love the swan boat ride in the public garden.

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for trip with 3 kids under 6!!!

Add the Boston Duck Tour to your list of things to do.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for trip with 3 kids under 6!!!

A few places you can take your kids:

The Museum of Science: May be a little old for them in a lot of ways but there are hands on exhibits and a few demonstrations they will get a kick out of http://www.mos.org/

New England Aquarium: They will love the penguins and the sea lion show

IMAX movie: They sometimes show children's movies, but they probably would like any imax movie with animals in it

Swan Boats in Public Garden: Ride in a swan boat around the pond in Boston Common

Zoo New England- Of course!

Zoinks! "a wicked cool toy store" (In Fanuiel Hall. I would take your family there for lunch and to shop and look around, go to the toy store and then walk to the Aquarium/IMAX which is only about a block away. :-D! …citysearch.com/profile/36415592/boston_ma/z…

Hope that helps, also I think a lot of those are a part of the go boston card (http://www.gobostoncard) since your kids are young you'll get a really good deal on the cost

!

Boston
Level Contributor
247 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for trip with 3 kids under 6!!!

when you say you're taking them definitely to the children's museum...if you're coming on a Friday (and if you don mind waiting until later)...it is a dollar (yes $1) per person and it stays open until 930pm, that is when i take my daughter every Friday, also try Salem Willows...it has amusement rides for children, arcades, picnic area, beach, ride the ferry out, fishing, playground, or you can do zoo (franklin park, there was a time also that it was 1 or free every Sunday or the 1st Sunday), now i just have the pass...you can get passes to all these activities from libraries

have fun

Boston
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for trip with 3 kids under 6!!!

Boston Common has a decent wooden playground that will always have lots of kids playing, and the neighboring frog pond is an ankle/knee deep wading pool with big fountain that the kids can cool off in.

If you visit Faneuil Hall marketplace on the weekends, you're bound to see some street performers right out in front of the Faneuil Hall building.

I've never been on the Duck Boat tours, but they're kinda pricey and sell out in advance and you appear to wait around for awhile. Last thing I would want to do on a hot August day with 3 young kids is to be standing around a boarding area 1/2 hour prior to departure.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for trip with 3 kids under 6!!!

I am getting lots of good information, thanks to everyone who posted! We are getting excited about the trip. I ordered some maps and stuff from AAA, hope it gets here soon. Any ideas for a place to stay outside of Boston? A pool would be a welcomed amenity. And it would need to be family friendly with a 6, 4, and 2.5 year old on board. Thanks again! these boards are great!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for trip with 3 kids under 6!!!

Coolidge Corner Theater has events/shows for kids. It's in Brookline on the Green C-line Coolidge Corner stop. I think your kids will like that area, though. There is a great toy store called Magic Beans which has readings--and that theater which is very kid friendly during the day. Also cute area full of shops like the Brookline Booksmith....JP Licks (best ice cream ever) etc.

www.coolidge.org

look for the kids events tab