We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Drive ��� Boston to NYC

UK
8 posts
Save Topic
Scenic Drive ��� Boston to NYC

Hi we are hiring a rental car for two days after our stay in Boston and travelling to our next hotel in NYC.

Can anyone suggest a route or nice places to visit on our journey? We will also need a couple on nights��� hotel accommodation on route; again any suggestions would be really helpful!

One final question I have is regarding where we should drop off our hire car, is it easy to find our hotel (Belvedere) and then return the car to a nearby rental company? Or should we look for somewhere outside NYC or one of the airports, before continuing our journey by public transport to Manhattan?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
495 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Drive ��� Boston to NYC

If you don't return your rental car to it's origin you usually have to pay a hefty premium drop off charge. For bugetary reason's, find out now !

Boston to NY is about a 4 hour drive, give or take. That you're taking a couple of days "on route" to NYC does that mean that you're staying two days somewhere between Boston and NY ? Sorry.

If that's what you mean, definately (my humble opinion) spend it in the Berkshires ! 2 1/2 hours due west on the Mass Pike (rte 90 exit 2) find a place in Lenox, stockbridge orGreat Barrington) check the stockbridge chamber of commerce for B&b's.

Many say that the berkshires is the summer cultural capital of the states !

good luck,

K

Mentioned in this post
Berkshires
Berkshires
Massachusetts
Lenox
Lenox
Berkshires, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Drive ��� Boston to NYC

I agree with keyster about heading west, then south, if you have the time, and are planning to stop over enroute.

The quickest way from Boston to NYC is not very scenic at all.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Drive ��� Boston to NYC

Instead of taking I-90, take Route 2 out of Boston. When you reach Rte 495 you can travel a short distance South to route 117 Bolton where you will find Bolton Orchards and Nashoba Winery (www.nashobawinery.com), which is nice to visit and also has a very nice (if a bit pricey) restaurant attached.

Then make your way back to Route 2 and follow it out past Wachusset Mtn to the Berkshires before heading south towards NY. If you are a lover of music, check out the Boston Symphony Orchestra at Tanglewood (Lee, MA). There's lots of restaurants, hotels and B+B's in this area.

Northhampton is also worth a visit, a very liberal, artsy town with lots of shops, restaurants and clubs.

Enjoy your visit!

Mentioned in this post
Bolton
Bolton
Massachusetts
Berkshires
Berkshires
Massachusetts
Boston Symphony Orchestra
Boston Symphony Orchestra
429 Reviews
Boston, MA
Lee
Lee
Berkshires, MA
Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,332 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic Drive ��� Boston to NYC

I might suggest that you head south, instead of west, just to give you a different option, although the Berkshires are definitely a beautiful area.

Head south from Boston on Rte 24 to Newport, RI. Stay overnight in Newport if you want, but you can tour the city in a day. Newport was the summer playground of the ultra rich robber barons around the turn of the century, and the summer "cottages" they built are nothing short of amazing. Some of them were built as replicas of places like Versailles, or even Buckingham palace. They are amazing, and definitely worth a trip.

After Newport, take the "scenic" part of I95 along the CT coast to Mystic seaport, which is a reconstructed colonial seaport with antique ships and shopping, and a great aquarium as well. From Mystic, you can continue on 95 until Old Lyme. The area of CT around Old Lyme, Essex, and the lower CT river valley is beautiful; filled with lots of quaint New England villages, beautiful vistas, old houses and lots of shops too.

Contact the states of RI and CT for travel guides which will give you more information on these areas. But, they are really lovely.

From the Old Lyme area, travelling on 95 south towards NYC, it rapidly becomes less "scenic", especially after New Haven. But, it's only 1.5 hours or so from that area into NYC, so at that point, it's just driving to get to your destination.

Mentioned in this post
Berkshires
Berkshires
Massachusetts
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Essex
Essex
England, UK