We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK Library/Museum

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
324 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
JFK Library/Museum

I was just reading the heated debate about not going to the zoo if you are a tourist who is infamiliar with the area (as I am an pan to take my 2 boys to Boston) I appreciate the advice....I had planned on going to the zoo and will not now (because it was going to be difficult to fit it in - time wise- anyway...but I had thought of going to the JFK library/museum - isn't that located near there? Is that "out of the way" and hard to get to? Would that also be an area where someone who's never been to Boston and is completely unfamiliar - be a little cautious about?

Thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK Library/Museum

I think all will agree this is safe. UMass Boston is here as well. Plenty of free parking and it is close to the front door. Very pretty area and not near the zoo. Great way to spend time and learn much.

Not out of the way. Others will tell you how to get there by the T.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK Library/Museum

It's easy to get to. Take the Red Line to the JFK/UMass stop, then at the station take the JFK shuttle bus right to the museum.

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK Library/Museum

JFK/UMass is a completely COMPLETELY different area. It's not out of the way at all. It's 15-20 minutes from downtown via the Red Line (I do the commute all the time). The JFK Library shares a peninsula with UMass Boston and the Mass Archives. It's a very safe, very walkable area. The T station is an urban T station, so you would assume the same types of rules about being aware of your surroundings, etc. as you would downtown, but it's completely different from the zoo area. You get off the T, jump on the #2 shuttle bus and get taken about a mile down Morrissey Blvd, past the Boston Globe and BC High to the JFK/UMass peninsula. You may share the bus with professors and college students, though many of them take the #1 bus that goes straight to the university. As you approach UMass, you'll see people enjoying the lovely Harborwalk along Dorchester Bay and the lawns alongside the walking path. The bus loops around the U and up a hill to the JFK Library. If you had loads of energy, you could walk from there along the coast all the way up to Castle Island, crossing from Dot into Southie. It's all considered very safe, walkable, fine...

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
324 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK Library/Museum

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the replies and suggestions!

5. Re: JFK Library/Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 24, 2009