We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

Palm Harbor , FL
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Topic
I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

Did anyone ever use that expression growing up in Boston?

Ever eat a spuckie and drink a tonic?

Anyone know of the best car rental deals into and out of Logan for a week? THanks dkel

Manchester N.H.
Level Contributor
11,706 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
151. Re: I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

Hi kids,

I'm from Lynn, and not only did we "hosey", but if we really meant business, we would "scrub it". (I scrub the last bottle of tonic). If you felt you really neeeded to make sure you didn't get jipped, you had to say " I scrub , and no erasies." There was very little anyone could do after you said "no erasies." (Sometimes you would need a witness). Another thing that you simply had to do was make sure you said "no checks on me" ...if you had something, like chips or candy or yeah, tonic, and you didn't want to share! Needles to say, it was helpful to say it fast, before someone tapped your arm and said "checks on you." It never hurt to slide the old "checks on you and no erasies"..which put the other kid right on the spot.

We got a lot for a nickle or dime in those days, but we didn't get that many. Cashing bottles was good.

Does anyone remember the gumball machines that had the special silver balls in them that were worth a nickle or a dime? OMG, it was like going to Vegas! If you had 2 pennies, and were feeling lucky, you could put one in, and sometimes get a winner. That was "wicked fierce"! This was especially good after those Friday night grownup parties, when your uncles would sit on the couch, and you could dive for change int he couch cushions the next day ;+)

I won't ask if anyone stole big tonic bottles from anyones hallways after they went to work, because some of you may be Catholic, and well....you know!!

I had a good friend named Allison who was on Community Auditions. (Baton twirling).

We thought she was awesome, but she didn't win.

BTW..there is another verse to the song. It goes..

Star of the day, who will it be.

For today, you wil see, talent rare, to compare, who'll be star of the day.

Dave Maynard was also a DJ on WBZ late at nite, and he was really funny. We used to listen to him on our transitors with the earplug things. I remember my Grandmother putting that thing in her ear, and she just could not believe it.

that was some hi tech stuff.

Ok, my last bit of trivia, is that my best friend Wendy, had an older sister who had a date with Freddy (boom boom) Cannon, and she didn't like him. She said he thought he was "it" and was out for one thing..What a riot.

Now I'm really thirsty, and could really kill for a Frosty Root beer. I don't care what anyone says. Tonic does NOT taste as good as it used to. I swear that it doesn't have the "kick" that it used to have, or maybe we were always dying of thirst because we ran to the store instead of walking ? LOL

This was fun, guys..always a scream talkin to the people from the Noth Shoah, and around Town...

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
152. Re: I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

great additons to the thread moose54. loved the transistor with ear plugs! reminds me that i grew up in a household that had only black and white television. i never knew until i was married that the yellow brick road in the land of Oz actually was yellow! i always thought it was gray.

Palm Harbor , FL
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
153. Re: I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

After macaroni at 5 o'clock we could go back out in the summa...we would greet our friends with "JEETYET?" (Did you eat yet) then play half ball against the steps till dark. I grew up with the same kids for many years and never went into their houses or saw parents..we were always outside...

Funny about Freddy "boomboom" Cannon being a jerk....I had some business dealings about 20 years ago with Arnie "WooWoo" GInsburg and he was a total turd. "Adventure Car Hop is the place to go The food is always right...WOO WOO"

We did no erasies also on the hosey...we also did "triple dirty dog dare with no erasies" only if we were REALLY serious like if we had something gourmet like Fritos that we would NOT share, ever.

Once my brother made Tang with a bottle of St. Josephs baby aspirin...we all drank it and got nauseous and my mother found out....now they would rush you to the ER and call DSS..then my mother slapped us all on the head, called us "stoonatha" ...slapped my brother twice for making it and all the other of us once for drinking it...she also told us to go to confession. DKEL

Palm Harbor , FL
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
154. Re: I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

ALSO>>>>>If you ordered a Ginsberger at Adventuer car hop and you said "woo woo" they gave you a free frappe I think? Also it came on a 33rpm record as a plate...DKEL

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,818 posts
1 review
Save Reply
155. Re: I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

How about the "kitchen sink" at Roland's Ice Cream Parlor, followed up by watching the submarine races in Nahant??

Palm Harbor , FL
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
156. Re: I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

Was Rolands at the end of the road before you went to Nahant? I forgot about that place...Went to the Clam Box for clams and rings, then the Italian bakery up the road for a slice and a cannoli then Rolands for a bannana split....DKEL

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,818 posts
1 review
Save Reply
157. Re: I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

That was the place. They dared any one person to eat "The Kitchen Sink".

Palm Harbor , FL
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
158. Re: I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

bump

originally Boston
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
159. Re: I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

I just discovered this great thread.

Brought back many memories...but made me feel kin dof old that I remember so many.

Being one of 4 kids, of course I hosied a window..

I worked part-tim at Bailey's on route 9 in Chestnut Hill.

I remember.....

Adventure Car Hop was "the place to go".

Getting hot bagels at a real bagle bakery in Chelsea

Eating at Jack and Marion's at Coolidge Corner

When S. S. Pierce actually occupiede the SS Pierce building at Coolidge Corner

My first Bruins season ticket....Plan C....I only had to pay for the 3 games up front...a total of $10.50

Making the clocks at Filenes a meeting place.

Besides Raymonds...there was Mickey Finns

When it was safe for young kids to go "in town" for a movie.

When the Riverside Line was built

When there was a "circle" at Cleveland Circle"

When people swam in the Charles River off the VFW Parkway in West Roxbury

The great toy displays in Jordan's at Christmas

When the Patriots played in Fenway

Drinking an "Awful- Awful" from Friendly's

Newcastle, Maine
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
160. Re: I "hosey" that seat in the cah...

Oh my God, I have only made it through half the pages on this thread and I'm about to bust a gut laughin! We all drank tonics growing up in the burbs of Boston and we ate subs as opposed to hoagies or grinders or what they call Italians here in Maine. I still hosey things once in awhile, like I hosey the liver from the roast chicken or I hosey the pork in the beans...We all bought our beer in the packie, but here in Maine we buy it in the beeah stoah. Never ate a spuckie, but I was from Wayland when I was a kid, never knew anyone from Eastie until I was a little older...anyway, I'm havin a wicked good time reading these posts!

Can't wait til my next visit!