We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying Away from the City

Upstate NY
2 posts
Save Topic
Staying Away from the City

We had some free time come up and are planning on visiting Boston this weekend. As a majority of the hotels in and near the city are either full or over $300 a night, how inconvenient is it to stay 12-15 miles away? Thanks

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
662 Reviews
from $94.50*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise on a...
561 Reviews
from $55.65*
Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,089 Reviews
from $41.95*
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,709 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying Away from the City

Depends on where you are, whether or not you are near a subway or rail line, whether you plan to drive in and park, or even whether you have a car at all. Can you be more specific what you are thinking?

Upstate NY
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying Away from the City

Sorry, that would have been helpful. We will have a car and would like to visi the Aquarium, Patriot Trail and general downtown area. We are thinking of staying in the Framingham, Norwood, or Bedford areas based on cost and availability.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying Away from the City

Out of the three towns you mentioned, I would pick Bedford. This is close to the trail you are referring to. It is also close to the Lexington Battle Green. There is a nice little tavern there that give tours. It has a nice little story on where the term " Four Star Restaurant" comes from. Concord is also within 15 minutes.

You can spend one day out that way and one day in Boston.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying Away from the City

I think this is a good idea. Another suburban hotel that is right on an express bus line, is the Sheraton in Newton Corner, Mass. The express bus goes from right by the hotel, to both Back Bay and downtown Boston.

There are also a few hotels in Brookline, which is a suburb but the closest to Boston.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,709 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying Away from the City

When you mentioned "Patriot Trail", I assumed you probably meant the "Freedom Trail" in Downtown Boston. However, since eileengs2 answered that Bedford is closer, I'm beginning to question myself. I'm not familiar with a "Patriot Trail". I did look it up but didn't find anything there. Can you or eileengs2 help enlighten me? Thanks.

AlanM

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying Away from the City

Hi there! We just returned on Tuesday from Boston, Cape Cod, Plymouth, Nantucket and Newport, R.I. Trip advisor was a Godsend to us and we had a blast! We had a Residence Inn booked in downtown Boston but it was $332 a night. We were staying in Boston two nights and I didn't want to spend almost $700 on a hotel. I found the Holiday Inn Express in Boston on Boston Street and we found it to be great! It is a 10 minute walk from the T and a 10 minute ride to the Park Street stop where we took the Freedom Trail. The cost was $4.00 round trip. The next day we took the T to Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. The hotel has a shuttle that will drop you off at the T if you don't want to walk. The hotel was 129.00 a night for government rate. Our room was newly furnished with two huge beds, nice bedding, nicely decorated, a desk, cable TV, great shower, big fluffly towels, USA Today by our door every morning and the best continental breakfast I have ever had. It is next door to a Marriott and backs up to a shopping mall with restaurants such as Applebees and Olive Garden. We ate downtown at a nice restaurant, but there are places available around the hotel. For the money we saved on the hotel, we could afford to splurge on lobster and other things. My husband and I both agreed that we were happy we didn't spend the $700 when this hotel was very nice and ten minutes from where the action was.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying Away from the City

I thought Patriot trail meant The Battle Road that goes thru all those towns.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying Away from the City

Sorry, maybe that is not enough info. When get off route 2A heading toward The Hanscom base, there is a road on the right. There are plenty of sign that say Battle Road. There is a little musuem tucked in back there with more trails. The musuem offers a movie and there are cool exhibits.

Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying Away from the City

The Quincy Marriott is where I'd stay if I wanted a nice-enough hotel with a T shuttle. It's about 20-30 minutes in... The Braintree Sheraton isn't bad...

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,709 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying Away from the City

Alternatively, if most of your tour activities are in Boston, I would stay in the Framingham Area and plan on driving into Boston. It's about a half hour to Downtown. Framingham is a western suburb that would be right on your way from Upstate NY. Most of the hotels are in the vicinity of I90, so that would be easy and fast for you to reach.

Parking in Boston on the weekends is very much discounted at some garages. You can park in the centrally located Boston Common Underground Garage for $10 a day.

AlanM