We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston help!

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
15 posts
233 reviews
Save Topic
Boston help!

Hi! I've been reading the horror stories about Boston traffic and parking, so I was wondering if anyone could give me advice about leaving the rental car out in the burbs, and taking the train. We want to see the tourist sights, and we actually like walking. If someone could suggest a reasonable motel near one of the lines, that would be great! Any other helpful info on the Boston area would be greatly appreciated. I'm a Beantown virgin!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
87 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston help!

Is there a reason why you want a rental car? I'm just curious because most everything you could possibly want to see in the Boston area is pretty well connected with public transportation. In the past my parents have stayed at the Hilton near the airport (which runs a shuttle pretty frequently to the airport T-station) and will be staying in the Revere area this week since it is MUCH cheaper and their hotel offers a free shuttle to the T-stop. There are many hotels that do this.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
87 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston help!

However, if you're planning on making side trips to the Cape or other Massachusetts you may want a car...

Mentioned in this post
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
Level Contributor
224 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston help!

The ability exists to rent a car for part of a week as opposed to the whole week. We often do that when we visit other areas such as Las Vegas.

The T has a program where you can buy what is called a "Visitors Pass" which allows you on and off all day or for a few days for a set fee which is a great deal. The T is an experience in itself. This way if you begin the Freedom Trail--a must see--and you get tired, you can have lunch somewhere or hop on the train and head to a different spot. If you come here in August, you could run into the muggy weather. Heat gets to us up here.

The Boston Public Garden is accessible by the T as well as the Freedom Trail. We took someone on the Freedom trail and took the Boat Shuttle back from the USS Constitution which is part of the "T" system. The sight for the train system is www.mbta.com. They will have info about Visitors passes and number of days and prices. Last time I bought one it was 1, 3, or 5 day passes.

Mentioned in this post
Boston Public Garden
Boston Public Garden
8,222 Reviews
Boston, MA
Freedom Trail
Freedom Trail
14,410 Reviews
Boston, MA
USS Constitution
USS Constitution
1,358 Reviews
Boston, MA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston help!

Unless you're looking to get out of Boston proper at some point during your visit, a car is a needless expense. Everything can be gotten to on the T and in many cases by foot. If you are looking to get to the Cape or up to Gloucester/Rockport, rent a car for the day. There are a number of rental agency offices right downtown/Back Bay.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
303 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston help!

Also, if you wanted to go to Rockport, a really pretty area, a couple of weeks ago I did this on the Train from North Station. It took about an hour, didn't cost much and was a nice train ride.

Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
15 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston help!

thanks for the replies! to clarify, we will be flying into Logan airport on Sunday, June 19, and we have to be at a place on Cape Cod one week later. We plan to spend that week anywhere fun and interesting in New England. Likes: scenery, art, nature, history. Dislikes: crowds, shopping. All suggestions appreciated, i've never been to New England. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
New England
New England
United States
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston help!

<<<to clarify, we will be flying into Logan airport on Sunday, June 19, and we have to be at a place on Cape Cod one week later. >>>>

Ah, it makes more sense now! Don't bother renting the car until you need to leave for the Cape. It will save you a ton of money. You won't need it while you're in town. There are rental offices in town, so you don't need to go to the airport to collect the car. Then you can leave the car off at the airport before heading home.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
North Shore...
Level Contributor
810 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston help!

For Boston attractions:

Walk the Freedom Trail, take a Duck Tour or the tourist Trolley, visit the Museum of Science, Museum of Fine Arts, Isabella Stwart Gardner Museum and the Arnold Arboretum.

I provide a brief description of the Arnold Arboreutm located in Jamaica Plain, a section of Boston, as follows:

A 265-acre living laboratory is incongruously set in a dense urban area. Established in 1872 in accordance with the terms of a bequest from New Bedford merchant James Arnold, it contains more than 4,000 kinds of woody plants, most from the hardy north temperate zone. The rhododendrons, azaleas, lilacs, magnolias, and fruit trees are eye-popping when in bloom, and something is always in season from early April through September. No fauna.

If you have time to travel to Maine, specifically Camden, try a Windjammer Cruise. Try a Google search for offerings. There is a very good B&B in Camden that can be located through www.victorianbythesea.com

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Freedom Trail
Freedom Trail
14,410 Reviews
Boston, MA
Museum of Science
Museum of Science
2,882 Reviews
Boston, MA
Museum of Fine Arts
Museum of Fine Arts
7,178 Reviews
Boston, MA
Arnold Arboretum
Arnold Arboretum
587 Reviews
Boston, MA
Jamaica Plain
Jamaica Plain
34 Reviews
Boston, MA
Bedford
Bedford
Pennsylvania
Maine
Maine
United States
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
North Shore...
Level Contributor
810 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston help!

If you like the theater try "Shear Madness" at the Charles Payhouse or ckeck out www.huntingtontheater.com

A review from Trip Advisor Forum:

"My wife and son and I were wondering what to do on our last night in Boston and took the recommendation of the Park Plaza concierge and got tickets to see Shear Madness. I was expecting an OK show (for $34.00) but certaintly did not think it would be one of the best pieces of theatre I have seen in a long time. No wonder it has been playing for 25 years.

From the moment we entered the charming little theatre until we left after a rousing standing ovation, it was pure perfection. My entire family agreed that it was the best night of our Boston visit".

"I just came back from seeing Shear Madness with my family and friends. All of us have not laughed this much in years. The show is based in a barber shop/ hair salon and we had to figure out who murdered the land lady who rents to them. It was a great interactive show which got us all involved. We were fortunate to go the show during its 25th anniversary run. This is a must see for Boston. We would go see it again"

Mentioned in this post
Shear Madness
Shear Madness
226 Reviews
Boston, MA
Charles Hotel
Charles Hotel
1,993 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts