We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston New year

Anglesey, Wales
Level Contributor
89 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Boston New year

Hello folks,

sorry to bother you. My girlfriend and I have been planning a trip to New York for new year, but having had some advice from the New York forum, we're looking at alternative locations. Somewhere a little less packed than times square, and a little more fun...

Could anybody let me know what's to do in the Boston area for NEw year, and whether I'd need to pre book tickets for everything.

Asking a lot I know, but if anybody could help me out I'd appreciate it.

All the best from a Sunny Wales

gareth

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston New year

Boston has a great New Years Eve celebration called First Night. Its a collection of performances and events that take place all over the city. It ends with fireworks in Boston Harbor at midnight. You have to buy a button to attend any of the indoor events/performances. I think they were $20-25 last year. You can buy them ahead of time and may even save a few dollars but you should also be able to get them when you arrive in the city. A full schedule of performances will be published with times and locations listed. You just choose what you want to see and head in that direction. Many events (concerts etc) are very popular and you have to wait in line to get in so even though there are events happening from mid day throughout the evening you may only get to attend a couple of things. There are also outdoor displays like the ice sculptures and laser shows. The downside is if the weather isn't good (too cold, or rainy) its not as much fun, on the other hand if its good weather then the crowds can be pretty big. This quick description might not be enough to give you a good idea, try doing searches on First Night Boston. You will definitely want to book your hotel in advance but there are lots of good places to stay, especially in the Copley Place area and in the downtown/waterfront area.

Boston...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston New year

First Night is supposed to be booze-free. Of course that does mean that some people go there boozed up, but it's intended to be non-rowdy. There are a fair number of extremely earnest concerts and art displays of local amateurs (adults and schoolchildren). Times Sq it definitely ain't.

Anglesey, Wales
Level Contributor
89 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston New year

Thanks for the info,

Urbanwoman, times square it ain't? A good thing or a bad thing? Times Square doesn't sound like much fun...

Boston...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston New year

First Night is cheerful, relatively quiet, there are families... And the ice sculptures really are something to see. Just make sure to watch the weather forecast and bring warm clothes, because if it's very windy and cold... anyway, it sounds like you'd like the feel of First Night.