We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching mid july

Europe
5 posts
Save Topic
Whale watching mid july

I will be in Boston for a few days mid july. I would like to see the whales. I live in Europe and have never been in Boston. So I don'tknow my way around, yet...

Does anyone has suggestions. Can I do such a thing in one day? I thougt it would be nice as well to see the coast (Cape Cod?).

Roz.

Middlesex County, MA
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching mid july

The whale watching tours out of Boston Harbor won't get you very close to Cape Cod. I think they take you about 25 miles East toward Stellwagen Bank.

It can be very exciting, if the sea is fairly calm, and you're lucky enough to get close to one or two of the whales. But, rough seas can make it difficult to enjoy the trip, and you might not see much more than a brief glimpse of the whale's back breaking the surface from a long way off.

Most, or maybe all, of the tour operators guarantee that you will see a whale - but, they don't give refunds, they just give you a voucher for a ride on another tour. If you're only in town for a few days, you might not have time to try again. The Boston Harbor Cruise line promises a 3-hour trip on a catamaran, most of the other tours are 5 or 6 hours (if I remember correctly).

If the water is VERY rough, they'll cancel the trip, and again, no refunds, just vouchers for a trip on another day.

We purchased tickets in advance, and made the attempt several times, with my daughter's Girl Scout trip, and got cancelled because of weather. When we finally took the tour, we only saw the whales froma very great distance, and the girls were unimpressed.

It might be more enjoyable to take the ferry over to Provincetown (on Cape Cod), lots of art galleries, boutiques, cafes, and views of the water, harbor, ships. (It is a well-known gay community, though, so if that offends you, you might look for other suggestions).

Level Contributor
224 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching mid july

There are great whale watches out of Gloucester as well as Plymouth and Hyannis if you do not want to go to Provincetown.

There are boats out of Boston that go to Provincetown that would give you a nice ride to Provincetown and once there you could go on the whale watches as well as look at some of the quaint shops.

I have had the best luck seeing whales with the Provincetown whale watch trips.