We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Boston from Wells, ME

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire, UK
Level Contributor
41 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Boston from Wells, ME

Hi there,

We're visiting New England at the end of July and will be staying in Wells, Maine for 1 week before heading up to Stowe in Vermont. We want to do at least one day trip into Boston from Wells to do the heritage trail and I'm wondering whether to drive down and try to find parking or is there a train to catch? An alternative is to drive part of the way.

Is the I-95 as bad north of Boston as it is in Connecticut and Virginia? I've previously been stuck in jams for hours on it!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Boston from Wells, ME

There is a very convenient train option - Amtrak's Noreaster service leving Wells Station and arriving in North Station in Boston. It is about a 2 hour trip. North Station drops you off pretty much where you want to be to start your tour of Boston. The first train out of Wells is app. 6am which will give you a full day in Boston. The cost is reasonanble (I believe it is $35 round trip). Check out the Amtrak website for exact schedules and fairs.

I live in Wells and work in Boston. I use the train as a commuter option on occasion. It is a great. My commute by car on 95 can take anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours each way. It can be extremely heavy traffic just north of Boston.

There is local taxi service and I also think the local trolley service stops at Wells Station if you want to leave your car at the hotel/cottage.

Lancashire, UK
Level Contributor
41 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Boston from Wells, ME

Thanks for that. I've checked the Amtrak website and it's a definite possibility. Do you recommend booking tickets in advance or just turn up & go?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Boston from Wells, ME

I would book your tickets in advance if you plan to travel during peak commuter hours or toward the end of the week. I have had to alter plans due to full trains.

The train is also a great option to shoot up to Portland.

4. Re: Day trip to Boston from Wells, ME

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, September 05, 2009