We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to view 4th of July fireworks in Boston

North Reading...
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Best place to view 4th of July fireworks in Boston

Since the fireworks are shot off on the Charles River in between the Harvard and Longfellow bridges, either bridge will provide you with awesome views. However, I personally recommend the Harvard Bridge (Mass. Ave.) though, since it is often slightly less crowded than the Longfellow. Bring a blanket or a lawn chair and you'll be all set. Better yet, pick up a box of pastries from Mike's in the North End to enjoy!

Boston's 4th of July fireworks are so big that even from these distances, you'll likely see (and feel) pieces of soot rain down on you. I also agree with a previous post that while the Esplanade can be fun, you have to get there at the crack of dawn to reserve a spot on the lawn....and expect to sit there all day until the concert begins (at 8:30pm). Fireworks are scheduled to go off towards the end of the concert (at 10:30pm).

For more info, see: http://www.july4th.org/

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
659 Reviews
from $94.50*
Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,088 Reviews
from $41.95*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise on a...
558 Reviews
from $55.65*
Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to view 4th of July fireworks in Boston

I agree---though I think that the crack of dawn rule applies only if you're looking for seats in view of the orchestra, right in front of the Shell. I've gotten decent riverside spots getting there around 2 or 3ish in the afternoon. The music is piped throughout the area, so you can hear just fine wherever you are...

june0953
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to view 4th of July fireworks in Boston

The OCEANA restuarent in the Marriot at long wharf has a beautiful unobstructed view of the harbor... i plan on going there the 4th to have dinner and then go to the terrace for the fireworks! Great seafood, a romantic venue! wonderful place to watch the fireworks! it's right near the aquarium too... the train station is right in front of the hotel.

Boston
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to view 4th of July fireworks in Boston

If you want to see the fireworks from a unique and comfortable vantage point, nothing beats the Marriot Hotel in Kendal SQ. The fireworks barge is directly across from the hotel. I did this from the 26th floor river side. All the sight and sound and NON of the crowd, plus you have AC and your room (fridge tv etc). Plus, you don't have to fight a crowd to 'go home' you cna party in ya room and leave in the AM.

only thing is you must TELL the reservation desk you want a RIVER Side room (extra charge of course).

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to view 4th of July fireworks in Boston

I think June0953 works for the Mariott...both her posts are identical.

Having an unobstructed view of the harbor has nothing to do with the fireworks on July 4th...so don't any visitors head there.

The Harvard Bridge on Mass. Ave is an excellent idea.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,171 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to view 4th of July fireworks in Boston

Hey June, good luck with looking at the harbor during the fireworks that are shot off from a mile behind you.

You might see the Brits trying to sneak attack the harbor during the fireworks, though. :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to view 4th of July fireworks in Boston

swearin....very funny...

Boston
Level Contributor
3,171 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to view 4th of July fireworks in Boston

Why thank you, Eileen, I always try to be as objective/factual as possible, but also try to slip a little humor in there, and I see that you're catching that, so if/when I disagree with you, please take that into consideration.

I love Boston, but I'm used to writing on a board with no limits, so it take a little adjusting to tone it down. :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to view 4th of July fireworks in Boston

Hi Swearin:

I love seeing new posters. I also take no offense to disagreements. I will apologize if I have not been the most pleasant. I absolutely do not retain prior posts.....one at a time.

I do like humor and especially against posters who are self promoting and misleading on top of it.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,171 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to view 4th of July fireworks in Boston

I think the only thing I see that I consider a mistake is when people who live in the near suburbs recommend that a person staying in along 128/93 drive to Wellington or Oak Grove or Alewife and take the T.

That's fine if you happen to live in the surrounding towns and know the lay of the land, that's what you would do.

But for someone who's staying in the suburbs for whatever reason for budget reasons, you might as well drive right downtown.

Simpler is better for people that have never been here, 'specially when you consider that anyone who posts here has internet access and could have looked it up themselves. :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
452 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to view 4th of July fireworks in Boston

For less crowds and great view - I recommend hanging out at the Cambridge side - right by MIT - riverfront by the Great Dome.