We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you tell me...............October 2019

Temecula, California
Level Contributor
504 posts
3 reviews
Can you tell me...............October 2019

Where can we get the BEST clam chowder (thinking of Union Oyster House or Boston Sail Loft)?

Where to get the best lobster roll/lobster dinner?

Is the Hilton Downtown Fanieli (sp) a good place to stay for tourists? Is there a Starbucks nearby to grab a quick breakfast?

Thanks so much!

16 replies to this topic
Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Can you tell me...............October 2019

Faneuil, pronounced “Fan-yull.” That Hilton would be a great central place to stay. And it’s in the middle of the financial district so of course there will be a ton of Starbucks and other cafes nearby.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,445 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Can you tell me...............October 2019

Chowder is very subjective. Chowder used to have a thin buttery, milky broth. About 15-20 years ago thick-is-better became a thing. But most traditionalists do not agree. At one time Legal Seafood sold both a thick and thin. Not sure if they still do.

There is a contest every year. Her is info about this year. But not all the same restaurants enter every year and if I recall Legal Seafood became an "honorary participant" after winning for several years.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/tag/chowderfest/

Boston Magazine puts out a "best of" edition every year. Click on the link and scroll down to see their winners over the years.

https:/…

Happy Planning!

Edited: 6:37 pm, September 18, 2018
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,445 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: Can you tell me...............October 2019

What do you mean by "lobster dinner"? A whole boiled lobster? A casserole with lobster meat (no shells)?

Temecula, California
Level Contributor
504 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Can you tell me...............October 2019

Boiled lobster w butter :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
128 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Can you tell me...............October 2019

You are going to see a lot of "the best" chowder described in various dazzling ways: Award-winning, Most famous, Best of Boston... you get the idea. However, different restaurants may put a little different spin on its version. It's harder to find a bad chowder here than the best one.

Not to say that Legal Seafood's chowder is the best, their chowder has been on the President's inauguration menu since 1981.

Your hotel is right in the heart of the financial district. It will be very quiet at night and weekends. But not to worry, you'll see plenty of life within 5 mins of walking distance in any direction. That is also to say that you will have no issues locating a Starbucks and plenty of local breakfast places as well. Just make sure they're also open on weekends.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,713 posts
133 reviews
6. Re: Can you tell me...............October 2019

The Faneuil Hall Hilton, while it is in a convenient location, is /not near Faneuil Hall. It is in a business area that empties out at night. If you want a more lively area, try other hotels. There are coffee shops (Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and others) all over Boston, on nearly every corner.

A lobster dinner is a boiled lobster with melted butter and sometimes an ear of corn on the cob and/or some coleslaw.

Many restuarants make clam chowder and seafood restuarnats generally do it better than others. Legal's makes a traditional milk based chowder and a lighter chowder that is, really not chowder but soup. Summer Shack, Atlantic Fish House ad many others have very good chowder.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Can you tell me...............October 2019

Just curious where you read/heard that either Union Oyster House or Sail Loft had the best chowder?

This being a city on the planet Earth in 2018, yes there are Starbucks everywhere. When you pick your final hotel, maybe we can steer you to somewhere more interesting close to your hotel.

I would got to Summer Shack for the lobster, but Legal would certainly be OK.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,756 posts
64 reviews
8. Re: Can you tell me...............October 2019

I agree that while that Hilton is a nice place and downtown and all, being in the financial district, it's a bit lonely and empty at night and weekends. If you want after-hours hustle and bustle, you'd be better off staying in the Back Bay or North End or closer to Faneuil Hall. The Millenium Bostonian, the Marriott Custom House, the Omni Parker House, the Ames, the Marriott Long Wharf would all be good choices.

As for lobster, Yankee Lobster is excellent, and I ate at a fairly new (at least to me) place in the North End which had great chowder and lobster as well. It's called North Square Oyster. It was very good.

https://www.northsquareoyster.com/

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,445 posts
67 reviews
9. Re: Can you tell me...............October 2019

That used to be Genarro's 5 North Square. I wonder when it changed.

Boston...
Level Contributor
128 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: Can you tell me...............October 2019

<<This being a city on the planet Earth in 2018, yes there are Starbucks everywhere.>>

Disagree. There's one SB for the whole South End. And they're only more concentrated in pockets of areas.

Reply to: Can you tell me...............October 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted