We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary

Level Contributor
45 posts
Itinerary

Hi all,

Me and my girlfriend, both around 27 years old are going to Boston next weekend for 4 nights and wanted to see if this sounds acheivable.

Saturday 29th Sept - Fly from UK to Boston, staying near Boston Common, have a nice meal at Capital Grille.

Sunday - Get up early for Gillette Stadium, transport and tickets are booked to see Patriots and Dolphins 1pm KO, get back to Boston, go to a couple bars and get some food.

Monday - Breakfast at Mikes City Diner, walk the Freedom Trail, then maybe get an Uber up to Salem for a while.

Tuesday - New England Aquarium, maybe a Duck tour or go see Fenway (And Wahlburger) maybe (Undecided/Open to suggestion)... Night time have tickets for Preseason game at TD Gardens, Celtics and Cavs.

Wednesday - bit of time in the morning before head to the airport

I do want to try some local food and have saw the Ye Olde Union Oyster House mentioned somewhere. I have never tried Lobster or Clam Chowder before.

Any other suggestions or reccomended restruants would be appreciated.

11 replies to this topic
Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary

Very doable.

If your budget allows - consider Abe and Louie's instead of Capital Grille.

Wahlburgers isn't actually that great, I'd take Tasty Burger or Shake Shack any day over it. Maybe go for a drink for the "ambiance"

Legal Sea Foods is a good local seafood restaurant chain. They have a bunch of locations and it's reliable if you're looking for Lobster, Chowder, etc. You may also want to go to some of the more local places and get some of the New England specialty of fried seafood.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,722 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary

You can also take the train to Salem, rather than Uber.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
1 review
3. Re: Itinerary

Assuming the schedule works the Commuter Rail train from North Station would make a lot more sense than Uber to get to Salem. It'll definitely be much cheaper and probably faster too depending on traffic.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
367 posts
60 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary

Please stick with Capital Grille instead of Abe & Louie's. You won't be disappointed.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Itinerary

Bayman, I respectfully disagree. Capital Grille is fine, especially for a chain. But Abe and Louie's is next-level classic American steakhouse dining.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,190 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Itinerary

My last steak at Abe and Louie's was awful and my wife couldn't even eat hers. She couldn't cut it..

Needless to say we wont be going back.

On the other hand I've never been disappointed at the Capital Grill.

Boston...
Level Contributor
22,371 posts
693 reviews
7. Re: Itinerary

Lord no on Abe & Louis.

Capital Grill is fine, Grill 23 is better

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,415 posts
67 reviews
8. Re: Itinerary

Capital Grill is fine. Steak is fine. But you want to try local food and you have limited time. why not go to a non-chain with a good variety of local seafood, too? For a "nice" meal, I suggest Island Creek Oyster Bar. You can get clam chowder and fried clams and lobster rolls. They even have baked beans available as a side dish.

https:/…

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
217 reviews
9. Re: Itinerary

An Uber to and from Boston /Salem will be expensive. The commuter rail from North station (Newburyport line) runs to Salem and is a short, inexpensive ride.

Also, Mike’s City Diner is out of the way if you are staying in Back Bay and then plan to visit the Freedom Trail after breakfast. I would have breakfast somewhere in the vicinity of the two.

Level Contributor
45 posts
10. Re: Itinerary

Thanks for the replies, I will have a look at the suggested steak houses and hopefully pick the right one.

Thanks for the suggestion about the train, it looks. Like the station isn't too far from the end of freedom trail so will be nice and easy to save some money.

Any idea on the weather around end of September time of year? Looking on the forecasts it doesn't look too chilly but not exactly hot either... Should I pack jeans and maybe a few jackets and also take some shorts just incase?

Reply to: Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted