We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What areas/neighborhoods to stay or not stay in Boston?

Brick, NJ
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
What areas/neighborhoods to stay or not stay in Boston?

Hi, I am planning to be in Boston the first week in Nov so my son can visit MIT as it is one of his college choices. Not sure whether it is cheaper to book a hotel or AirBnB but I really do not know where in Boston to stay. I will have a car and there will be 3 of us.

In addition, we do want to sight see. What areas or neighborhoods should we look at? Or what areas/neighborhoods should we avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
672 Reviews
from $94.50*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
583 Reviews
from $55.65*
Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,101 Reviews
from $44.05*
5 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
22,378 posts
693 reviews
1. Re: What areas/neighborhoods to stay or not stay in Boston?

Some hotels will be cheaper than AIRBNB, some will be more expensive. Any hotel in Boston will be $35+ to park at so consider that in your planning.

Most places where there are hotels are fine for tourists to stay in. The details on the less good places are much easier to explain if you list some properties instead of saying "so and so neighborhood is bad", as parts of some named areas may be bad while other parts may be fine.

If you look at airbnb, post the addresses here, not the claimed neighborhoods, as there is often minor misrepresentation of location.

For MIT, staying in Cambridge or the neighboring towns might make sense and save some money

Edited: 6:49 pm, September 16, 2018
Boston
Level Contributor
7,338 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: What areas/neighborhoods to stay or not stay in Boston?

You might want to stay in Kendall Square Cambridge. It is the center of MIT land. There is a Marriott Residence Inn there. It’s just a couple of subway stops to Park Street station which is right in the center of Boston.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
802 posts
95 reviews
3. Re: What areas/neighborhoods to stay or not stay in Boston?

With a car you could also look at places near the Lechmere station in Cambridge, such as the Hampton Inn on Monsignor O'Brien Highway, It is just over a mile walk to the MIT campus/Kendall Square from there, and might be less expensive place to park your car than the hotels in Kendall itself From Lechmere you can hop on the Green line subway into downtown Boston. A little further away, the La Quinta in Somerville might work for you; you'd have to drive to the MIT campus from there, but It is somewhat near the Assembly station on the orange line subway that takes you into Boston. No idea if either of these is in your budget. Neither is as super convenient for sightseeing as staying in downtown Boston, but would be more affordable.

Brick, NJ
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: What areas/neighborhoods to stay or not stay in Boston?

Thank you everyone. I will look into the hotels that you mentioned and then compare AirBNB in the area. I will post if there is a particular AirBNB that I am interested but are not sure of the area. Thanks again!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,428 posts
217 reviews
5. Re: What areas/neighborhoods to stay or not stay in Boston?

An airbnb might make sense if it comes with a driveway/parking. You’ll pay 40+/night to park at most downtown area hotels.

Definitely post addresses/ areas when you find choices. Some neighborhoods are more conveinent than others.

Reply to: What areas/neighborhoods to stay or not stay in Boston?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted