We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston with a toddler - toddler friendly tours and activitie

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
73 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Boston with a toddler - toddler friendly tours and activitie

Hi all, we will be going to Boston at the end of July for 1 week. We are bringing our baby who will be 17 months old then.

I’ve been doing some research and we will bring her to the Public Garden (ducks and boats) and to the Boston Common (frog pond). Probably also to he Children’s museum.

Besides that I think we will bring her along to the activities that we want to do... we normally love to do tours and explore the city but now we need to think what tours will be toddler friendly... any recommendations?

Also I would love to do a boat tour but not sure which one will be kid friendly?

Any recommendations of tour of activities (not necessarily tailor for a toddler but that we can bring her along) would be greatly appreciated it.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston Public Garden
Boston Public Garden
8,369 Reviews
Boston, MA
The Boston Common Hotel and Conference Center
The Boston Common Hotel...
832 Reviews
Boston, MA
18 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,455 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston with a toddler - toddler friendly tours and activitie

Any of the Freedom Trail walking tours will be fine. Hop on hop off trolley works.

Mentioned in this post
Freedom Trail
Freedom Trail
14,606 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,533 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston with a toddler - toddler friendly tours and activitie

It's not whether folks are toddler-friendly, it's really whether your toddler is people-friendly. You know the answer to that best.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,883 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston with a toddler - toddler friendly tours and activitie

I like your plans so far. You may want to consider the Aquarium, she'll like that. As for a Freedom Trail tour, I would think a toddler would be bored and cranky walking about as people walk and talk. I agree that walking tours are the best way to see the city, but I think you should be prepared to bail out of the tour if she is not as intrigued with the Writs of Assistance as you might be. ;)

Boston...
Level Contributor
19,323 posts
629 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston with a toddler - toddler friendly tours and activitie

A real boat tour might not be fun if the baby has any issues with seasickness. Swan Boats will be fine, but the toddler won't remember any of the things you do so make sure you do mostly things for you.

Mentioned in this post
Swan Boats
Swan Boats
234 Reviews
Boston, MA
Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,883 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston with a toddler - toddler friendly tours and activitie

Oh, boat tours -- Boston by Foot offers an Architecture Tour by boat. The boats are on calm waters and are safely enclosed. Of course you'll need to watch her, but I would not have reservations about taking a child on this tour.

Mentioned in this post
Boston By Foot
Boston By Foot
291 Reviews
Boston, MA
Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
73 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston with a toddler - toddler friendly tours and activitie

Yes I was thinking to give the Freedom. Trail a pass as she may be cranky. Some reviews said the aquarium is for older children but I will put in back on my list. I agree that I want to do things that my husband and I would like to see but has to be functional and a bit toddler friendly (if she is not happy we will not be happy).

THANK YOU

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
73 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston with a toddler - toddler friendly tours and activitie

Yes! We (parents) want to do a boat tour, so I am just looking for a company that may have a big boat (so she can walk a little) maybe like a catamaran. Of course we will watch her :) but I am thinking a Sail boat may be tooo narrow and risky for her (so she will have to hold all the time.

On another note, what about the tea party ship and museum? I would love to see that but not sure if maybe too crowded for her / toddler friendly?

Thank you all for your valuable advice!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,455 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston with a toddler - toddler friendly tours and activitie

Atc17 months I assumed she would be in a stroller or carrier, not actually walking on a walking tour. Perfect time for a mobile nap.

Edited: 7:55 am, June 09, 2018
Bridgewater...
Level Contributor
24 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston with a toddler - toddler friendly tours and activitie

To answer your question on the Tea Party ships, strollers are NOT allowed so your toddler would have to either walk or you'd have to carry them.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston with a toddler - toddler friendly tours and activitie

We’ll be visiting in september with our then 15 mo th old. We’re still planning to do the freedom trail. As one poster noted, just plop in the stroller with a paci or snack and let them fall asleep. I would suggest doing the tour around nap time (that’s our plan) so you know there’s a better chance for falling asleep. Also, we’re gonna do the tea party ships. I’m not not going to do stuff just because she’s with us. If people have a problem oh well. If they don’t allow strollers make sure to bring your carry sack :) have fun!

Reply to: Boston with a toddler - toddler friendly tours and activitie
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;