We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

App for Freedom Trail?

Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
App for Freedom Trail?

Planning a trip to Boston in July and would like to do the Freedom Trail on our own time schedule. Has anyone ever used an app for this? I searched the forum and there isn't any recent information about this. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
3 replies to this topic
Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: App for Freedom Trail?

Out of curiosity, I downloaded the NPS free tour. It is very, very thin on information. I am not curious enough to pay for any of the others to see if they are any better. The one by the Rothrock Group seems to be highest rated, and the screenshots seem to have a bit more detail. The app from the Freedom Trail Foundation gets terrible reviews.

As a freedom trail guide, I cannot imagine that an app can be nearly as interesting as having a live person with whom you can talk about the events that occurred , or get a good story woven through the locations that help you understand the lives of people like Franklin, S and J Adams, and young Henry Knox.

Splurge, pay for a tour. ;)

Mentioned in this post
Freedom Trail
Freedom Trail
14,588 Reviews
Boston, MA
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,185 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: App for Freedom Trail?

LMM, are there any tours that include the Whisper Headsets so that you can hear the guide right in your ear? It can be hard to hear the guide with city background noise.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: App for Freedom Trail?

I've never seen any groups using them, so for Freedom Trail Foundation, Boston by Foot and Free Tours By Foot -- no. Check your PM for a recommendation and more info.

Mentioned in this post
Freedom Trail
Freedom Trail
14,588 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston By Foot
Boston By Foot
291 Reviews
Boston, MA
Reply to: App for Freedom Trail?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted