We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel for family for New Years Eve activities?

York Beach, Maine
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel for family for New Years Eve activities?

Hi all,

We are not very familiar with Boston but have stayed at the Marriott Copley before and are considering going for a long weekend over New Years and hopefully taking in some of the outdoor events and fireworks. What would be a good hotel location to do this with 2 teens? What things should we try to do with them? We do not care about partying but looking for some fun stuff. We would also maybe try to fit in a show that weekend and were thinking of Blue Man Group but it is pricey that weekend...what do you think of Shear Madness with teens? Any other ideas of things to do or even restaurants would be great! thx

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
662 Reviews
from $94.50*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise on a...
560 Reviews
from $55.65*
Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,088 Reviews
from $41.95*
9 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,230 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel for family for New Years Eve activities?

There are fireworks at 7pm on Boston Common.

The first night event has a "pyrotechnics" display at midnight in Copley Square ... I believe that is still happening.

Additionally, two other groups have collaborated to have fireworks over the Harbor near the Seaport district and the North End.

Other first night events will probably be on Boston Common and Copley Square, that is where they were last year. It is not as big as it was in previous years.

Copley is a centrally located area, giving you easy access to other parts of the city via foot and subway.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,664 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel for family for New Years Eve activities?

iceskating on frog pond?

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,205 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel for family for New Years Eve activities?

Not sure if this is the nature of your question but if you were fine with the Marriott Copley the first time you stayed there, NYE wouldn't change that. It's a fine location for what you seek on NYE.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,230 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel for family for New Years Eve activities?

Hank, that's what I was trying to get at ... you said it so much better. ;)

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,205 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel for family for New Years Eve activities?

ha, may have been better if I went first :) I give the answer and you explain why I gave it.

York Beach, Maine
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel for family for New Years Eve activities?

Thank you! I am also looking into the Westin Copley -- that would be about the same location as the Marriott I assume but does anyone prefer one over the other? So if there are fireworks at 7, are there also some at midnight in this area or is that only over at the Seaport?

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,205 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel for family for New Years Eve activities?

I think the Westin Copley would be slightly better location wise. Pretty close to 6 of one half dozen of the other though.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel for family for New Years Eve activities?

Here is another outdoor event for your weekend:

'Boston Winter presented by Berkshire Bank' returns to City Hall Plaza on November 24th!!

Boston Winter is a dazzling open-air holiday festival that returns to City Hall Plaza for its second season. It will be open 7 days a week from Nov. 24-Feb. 25. Free to the public and in the heart of the city, come by to enjoy Boston's unique winter wonderland. This year it will have an expanded Holiday Market with 85 chalets. Skate rentals and admissions will be available for all levels of skaters. The newly designed skating path is one of a kind! Visitors can meet Santa, visit the Bavarian Village and also Vinopolis for an interactive wine and beer experience."

Check out http://cityhallplazaboston.com/ for more information regarding hours, pricing and more (information will continue to be updated once available).

Boston
Level Contributor
7,308 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel for family for New Years Eve activities?

You might want to keep your eye on this Bostix web site for discounted Blue Man and other tickets. Shear Madness would be fine with teens.

Reply to: Which hotel for family for New Years Eve activities?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted