We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need helping picking a neighborhood

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need helping picking a neighborhood

Hi all,

My family (Me, wife, and 2 kids 10 and 12) will be visiting Boston for the first time this summer and we're all really excited. I could use some help picking a neighborhood for our 5 day stay. Any and all help would be appreciated. Let me give a couple of reference points to help out with the suggestions.

1. When visiting NYC we like staying in Carroll Park or Cobble Hill. We like the old time feel and we get the chance to experience NYC like locals.

2. When visiting San Francisco we like Noe Valley or the Mission. Again, independent old-timey mom and pop shops, combined with a hipster place to get good coffee.

More than anything we want to visit Boston, but not hang around other tourist. We like classic careworn spots. We're all seasoned travelers and don't mind a little grit, using public transit, and walking.

Thanks so much:)

18 replies to this topic
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,753 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need helping picking a neighborhood

At what sort of place do you normally stay? Hotel, inn, B&B?

Boston
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need helping picking a neighborhood

Davis Square comes to mind. It's in Somerville, but on the Red Line. But, there is no hotel there, so it would have to be a B&B or AirBnb.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need helping picking a neighborhood

You could do the new Porter Square hotel, not far from Davis Sq. Plenty of local businesses there on Mass Ave and convenient Red Line subway connection. AirBNB also a good option. Just beweare of people saying they are "close to" or "in" one of the squares when you may actually be a mile or more. Also keep in mind street parking is nigh impossible in Somerville/Cambridge.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,661 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need helping picking a neighborhood

Stay in back bay, downtown, beacon hill, or faneuil hall/quincy market area.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
989 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need helping picking a neighborhood

We've stayed in Carroll Gardens, and have family in Davis Sq, where we've also stayed. They do have their similarities, and are a similar distance by T/subway from the centre of town. David Sq is more detached suburban that BoCoCa, with clapboard apartments the dominant architectural style.

We've stayed in both B&B and airBnB apartments in Davis Sq, including last month.

If your prefer the inner city brownstone feel, I agree with the Back Bay/Beacon Hill etc suggestion.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,138 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need helping picking a neighborhood

Davis Square in Somerville or the South End.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need helping picking a neighborhood

Normally we do airbnb or similar type rentals.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need helping picking a neighborhood

Everyone, thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

Boston
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need helping picking a neighborhood

Davis Square does seem to be what you have in mind. But, personally, i would rather stay in a downtown neighborhood such as Back Bay, North End, Beacon Hill, South End. These are all residential areas, but in the thick of things and easily accessible to tourist attractions by foot and subway.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,677 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need helping picking a neighborhood

I'd also suggest Jamaica Plain, if you can find a place near Centre St. Lots of lovely independent shops, great little restaurants, very nice, "local" area.

Reply to: Need helping picking a neighborhood
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted