We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Providence

Orange, TX
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Boston to Providence

The airfare is much cheaper to BOS airport, but our international flight leaves from PVD airport. What is a reasonable way to get there, besides public transportation? My husband does not do well with his back, luggage etc. Is UBER a valid option?

12 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
21,679 posts
686 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to Providence

Uber is an option but it will likely be $100 or more. You can price it out on the uber app as a test run.

There are commuter (MBTA) trains, Amtrak, and many bus lines (Greyhound, etc) that run this route

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,219 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to Providence

I just took a look at the webside for Boston Car Service (www.bostoncar.com)

I know nothing about them, and I picked 11am Dec 13 as the travel time and date. It quoted a price of $211, including tip.

I think time of day and day of week will affect uber pricing. If it's Saturday night, will a driver want to give up a bunch of short trips for one long one? If it is rush hour on Friday, it could be a 3 hour drive ... so a high price.

The savings on airline tickets would need to be significant to make up for the cost of transportation. My home is very close to Logan and I have driven my family of 4 to Providence for a flight because the savings made it worth driving and parking ... so I get the attraction of using an airport not convenient to home or destination ... but my gut tells me this could be an expensive drive.

If you can use public transportation, it might be worthwhile, but otherwise, I wonder ....

Happy Planning!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,661 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston to Providence

I don't really understand your question. Are you flying into Boston, staying a few days and then have to get to Providence? What about taking the commuter rail?

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
30,805 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston to Providence

Sounds like they are flying in to Logan and want to fly out the same day at PVD must be flying Norwegian if its a late flight it would be much cheaper to take public transportation like Amtrak which would be quicker out of South Station.

Boston
Level Contributor
7,308 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston to Providence

I live a few miles outside of Boston and just entered PVD as my destination in Uber. I got a quote of $108.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston to Providence

You should really consider how much of a savings it is to fly into BOS vs PVD.

To get to Providence, I'd do Amtrak. Silver Line (free) from BOS to South Station and then Amtrak or Commuter rail. (Compare prices and schedules).

It's about an hour but will take longer with the trip to South Station.

You might check to see if there are any buses direct from Logan to Providence. I'm not aware of any but it would be worth checking.

Uber or cab would be exhorbitant. It's not just down the road. It's in another state, an hour and change away, longer if there's traffic.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston to Providence

Commuter Rail. Zone 9. $12.00 fare from South Station (or Back Bay)

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston to Providence

If you are going for inexpensive then you need to do either the T commuter rail from Boston to TF Green rail station (it's a bit of a hike to the airport) or Amtrak to PVD train station and then a cab, Lyft, Uber to the TF Green airport terminal or from Amtrak PVD train station - you could change to commuter rail to TF Green rail station from Amtrak, too.

Amtrak has red caps at South Station in Boston - not sure if there are red caps at the Providence rail station. I don't believe there are red caps at TF Green rail station.

On balance then for cost AND reduced schlepping of baggage: (i) Silver line from Logan to South Station; (ii) Get red cap to help you to Amtrak; (iii) get cab/uber/lyft at downtown providence to TF Green airport.

For cheapest; Silver line to South Station; MBTA commuter rail to TF Green and schlep those bags.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston to Providence

I case I wasn't clear - Amtrak does NOT stop at TF Green. You would need to transfer at the downtown Providence stop to a cab or some such to get to the airport.

The T does stop at TF Green, but it's a long walk to the airport terminal.

Edited: 9:27 am, November 20, 2017
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,219 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston to Providence

>>> What is a reasonable way to get there, besides public transportation? <<<

The original poster specifically said that she was not interesting in public transportation. Bottom line, the two airports are approximately 60 miles apart and private transportation will not be cheap.

Reply to: Boston to Providence
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted