We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel locatoin question

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1 post
40 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel locatoin question

Good morning

My daughter (aged 20) and I will be first time Boston visitors next June for a long weekend. I am in the process of looking at accommodation. I really like the look of the Intercontinental, notwithstanding it's at a good price with breakfast, however wanted to ask if we might be better staying in the Beacon Hill area which seems more central to everything (thinking XV Beacon).

We will want to whale-watch, walk the Freedom Trail, Quincy Market etc. We are not fine diners or after a fabulous nightlife, but do love decent Pizza and Pasta after a day's sightseeing. We are not massive shoppers but I'll have to hit them briefly at some-point for sportswear for my other daughter who cannot join us.

Boston does appear quite easy to get around but as first time visitors - what area would you stay in? Does it actually matter? Thank you for any advice and views given.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Beacon Hill
Beacon Hill
2,148 Reviews
Boston, MA
Freedom Trail
Freedom Trail
15,050 Reviews
Boston, MA
Quincy Market
Quincy Market
2,995 Reviews
Boston, MA
6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
157 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel locatoin question

Either option is well located. Intercontinental a more modern option but I'd probably choose XV Beacon which is close to most things and in a lovely area. You will be spoiled for choice regarding pizza and pasta. From XV Beacon you can walk to the North End (Boston's Little Italy) where you have a huge choice of restaurants mostly on Salem and Hanover Streets. For pizza, Pizzeria Regina is legendary - be prepared to queue! We like Antico Forno also.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
XV Beacon
XV Beacon
1,187 Reviews
Boston, MA
North End
North End
6,461 Reviews
Boston, MA
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Regina Pizzeria
Regina Pizzeria
2,398 Reviews
Boston, MA
Antico Forno
Antico Forno
845 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,644 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel locatoin question

Actually, the Intercontinental is about as close to the North End as the XV. You'll find Boston very compact and easily walkable from either location.

Mentioned in this post
North End
North End
6,461 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston
Level Contributor
7,243 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel locatoin question

Either would be great. XV Beacon is more central, but Intercontinental is certainly not isolated. It is close to where you would get the Whale Watch and close to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, too. It is also closer to the new Seaport area and Harborwalk. They are both very nice hotels, but quite different, XV Beacon being a boutique hotel in an old building and the Intercontinental being a modern high rise on the water.

Mentioned in this post
XV Beacon
XV Beacon
1,187 Reviews
Boston, MA
Quincy Market
Quincy Market
2,995 Reviews
Boston, MA
Seaport Boston Hotel
Seaport Boston Hotel
5,357 Reviews
Boston, MA
HarborWalk
HarborWalk
203 Reviews
Boston, MA
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,354 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel locatoin question

Both good choices.

Boston
Level Contributor
24 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel locatoin question

Hi

Our favorite is Quattro for pizza and we are very picky. It is very delicious and not greasy etc.

It is located in the North End of Boston.

Mentioned in this post
Quattro
Quattro
507 Reviews
Boston, MA
North End
North End
6,461 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,476 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel locatoin question

I'm a big Intercontinental fan and the one in Boston is a very good one but I would pick the XV.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Reply to: Hotel locatoin question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted