We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying outside of Boston (using public transport)

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Staying outside of Boston (using public transport)

Hi all,

I'm travelling to Boston with my boyfriend in November. We have 4 nights and were thinking about doing 2 nights in Downtown Boston (Friday and Saturday) and then heading out of the city for the next two nights.

We're not planning on renting a car, so are looking for recommendations of a nice suburban neighborhood with pubs / restaurants / nice streets or parks to walk around, etc., and easy-ish public transport back into Boston for our return flight on the Tuesday. Probably looking to go no more than 20 miles out of Boston.

Any recommendations are hugely welcomed.

Many thanks,

Kate

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
640 Reviews
from $94.50*
Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,076 Reviews
from $41.95*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
534 Reviews
from $55.65*
10 replies to this topic
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying outside of Boston (using public transport)

I suggest A Village B&B in Newton Highlands. 2 minute walk to the Newton Highlands T stop - Green Line D Branch (Riverside Branch) 30 minutes to Park Street. NH has a bar or two a couple restaurants, walks at Cold Spring Park, Sudbury aqueduct...check out "Newton Conservators" for walks in the area, Crystal Lake. - very nice, safe suburb.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying outside of Boston (using public transport)

Thank you so much for your recommendation. I will look into Newton Highlands now :-)

Boston
Level Contributor
7,245 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying outside of Boston (using public transport)

You describe Newton, but the few hotels there are not really in the areas where there are shops, pubs, restaurants to walk to. Also look at Brookline.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying outside of Boston (using public transport)

I stayed in Somerville, steps away from Davis Square (diverse shops, restaurants and bars) and near the T at Bowers House B&B - very convenient.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,938 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying outside of Boston (using public transport)

I would choose Davis Square over Newton for night life.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,480 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying outside of Boston (using public transport)

Davis Sq is full of bars and restaurants and several places with live music. A very enjoyable place for a young couple.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying outside of Boston (using public transport)

Jamaica Plain! Nice suburban neighborhood, great parks, great for walking around, pubs and such, and T access. No hotels there; would have to be b&b. Jamaica Plain is only 4 or 5 miles out of downtown Boston. Somerville Davis Square is just as good for the scene, less so for the parks, and about the same distance out of town.

The Newton Highlands idea may be good although I think the locale is much sleepier for visitors than Somerville or Jamaica Plain. Better than No. 4, Privet Drive, but not very lively. Within 20 miles brings up other possibilities of which Salem is best: a very lively compact town with lots to see and right on the water. Marblehead nearby is very scenic in a different way, not sure about b&b accommodations there. Salem has train to Boston and Marblehead has a bus.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
264 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying outside of Boston (using public transport)

Depends what you're looking for in terms pf activities. Davis Square has trendy restaurants and pubs and a great atmosphere, but I wouldn't say it's great for taking walks, as everything is concentrated in a small-ish area. It's a so-called inner suburb and not really out of the city either - moreso than JP, although JP has better walking options with the Emerald Necklace. I suggest looking into either Salem or Concord. Both are accessible by commuter rail and both have plenty for the visitor to do. Witch trials and maritime history in Salem (with the excellent Peabody Essex museum), Revolutionary history in Concord, and literary history in both (Nathaniel Hawthorne, Enily Dickinson, etc.). Each has a National Park and for walking the minuteman trail also links from Concord to Lexington, and Walden Pond is close by. Plus Salem has the waterfront. Noce restaurants and B&B's in both.

Boston...
Level Contributor
3,999 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying outside of Boston (using public transport)

Harvard Sq. Not sure if you could call it suburban because it's just over the River but it's it's own area in look and feel not just a continuation of Boston.

Easy walk to Central or T to Davis if you run out of things to do/see right there in Harvard Sq.

Edited: 10:10 am, October 23, 2017
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,051 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying outside of Boston (using public transport)

There is also Newburyport; on the water and about 35 miles north of Bostonm but connected by commuter rail.

ttps://www.newburyport.com

Reply to: Staying outside of Boston (using public transport)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted