We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do between Fletcher and Atlanta?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
104 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do between Fletcher and Atlanta?

On the way back to Atlanta from visiting family in Fletcher this weekend, Oct 15-16, we would like to do something that will allow us to see the fall foliage and perhaps do a very easy hike. It would have to be located between Fletcher and Atlanta. We don't want to go East or North because it would take us out of our way and make the drive back to Atlanta longer. We actually have to drive back to Birmingham, AL after dropping off a relative in Atlanta.

Any suggestions? There will be six of us, two women over 50, two women in the 30's, and two girls aged 9 and 7. Three generations...three sets of sisters.

Thanks.

Michigan
Level Contributor
426 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do between Fletcher and Atlanta?

Take 74 west out of Asheville. When you get to Sylva follow the signs to Cheeokee and Murphy. This will take you to the Nantahala gorge and river. It is a very beautiful drive. When you get to Murphy NC take highway 60 to Ga 515 and follow it into Atlanta. have a good map. Hope this helps.

Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do between Fletcher and Atlanta?

If you are driving down through Greenville there is an area off to your right (on 25 South) after you pass The Cliffs where there are signs for Awanita camps and I believe there is hiking out there. Paris Mountain State Park just outside of Greenville. I don't know how the colors will be by the weekend as they are just starting to change up here in the Asheville area and that area is usually a week or so behind - at least.

Alternatively if you head out towards Franklin and down that way 19/23/441 to Atlanta you will pass Tallulah Gorge and Falls and there are hiking trails all over that area.

Asheville
Level Contributor
19 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do between Fletcher and Atlanta?

What I here you saying is that you don’t want to add a lot of extra time to the return trip to Atlanta, but would to get in a little mountain scenery and flavor. Many people in the Asheville area go down to Greenville and take I-85 into Atlanta. I am not sure how you plan on going to Atlanta, but I would recommend this often overlooked shortest and fastest four-lane route to Atlanta:

Take I-40 west out of Asheville. Take the Cherokee, Waynesville, Atlanta exit onto 19/23/74. Then take the 441 South exit in Dillsboro,NC. Follow 441 through Franklin, NC into Georgia. Twelve miles south of Clayton, Georgia consider a brief stop at Tallulah Falls. Continue south on 23/441, Avoid the left side exit on 441south in Cornelia/Baldwin, GA and continue on US 23 south eventually merging with I-985 in Gainesville, GA. I-985 goes all the way into Atlanta through Gwinett county. Sounds complicated but it is not. Great signage and great roads and twenty minutes faster to Asheville than the much less scenic Greenville route.

The added bonus is that these fast four lanes actually do ascend over two mountain passes at Balsam Gap and Cowee Mountain north of Franklin. There is a nice fairly high elevation overlook on Cowee just past Gold City where you should see some color. The route also leads directly by Tallulah Gorge State Park in Georgia offering a couple of short trails to view the falls and the magnificent 1000 feet deep gorge. At Tallulah Gorge State Park, Turn left at the sign before crossing over the gorge on 441 south to the Jane Hurt Yarn Interpretive Center at the State Park. The two short rim trails start here. Alternatively, if you don’t feel like hiking or paying the $4 parking fee, continue over the Tallulah Bridge on 441 south and turn left on the scenic loop. The overlook porch at Tallulah Point Overlook on Scenic Loop 15 offers the only free, roadside view of Tallulah Gorge. This is the historic viewpoint for the gorge is a cluster of souvenir shops that pre-date the park. You won’t see the falls from here but the gorge view is awe-inspiring. This same short scenic loop will take you back to the four lane, which is a direct shot to Atlanta at this point.

As one member posted the Nantahala Gorge route is beautiful, but I have found this two lane route to be slow and torturous when I actually had to get somewhere. Dillard House north of Clayton makes a great lunch stop if you are really hungry. Happy Travels!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
104 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do between Fletcher and Atlanta?

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions. I will review them and see what will fit our schedule. Thanks again for the help!

Michigan
Level Contributor
426 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do between Fletcher and Atlanta?

the Nantahala gorge is not a bad road. You can travel at 45 for the 9 miles then 55 the rest of the way. That route through Franklin and Clayton has long construction delays avoid that.

Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do between Fletcher and Atlanta?

I have driven through Franklin and Clayton fairly recently - within the past month and did not encounter "long delays" although, yes, there has been construction going on for the past year.

7. Re: Things to do between Fletcher and Atlanta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, August 26, 2009