We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asheville in eighteen hours? Could use some help!

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
732 posts
Save Topic
Asheville in eighteen hours? Could use some help!

I am trying to maximize an upcoming business trip to Asheville. (I loved it as a child (eons ago) and want my husband to see how lovely it is.

We will drive in from Atlanta, arriving about 8:00 on a Tuesday night in October. We have a business appointment the next morning at 10:00.

We will be driving on to Cashiers, NC, and need to arrive there about 6:00-7:00 Wednesday evening.

Can anyone suggest the best way to use those few hours? Scenic drive, shopping? I don't have a decent map to see if a part of the Blue Ridge Parkway would send us in the direction of Cashiers.

Also, would like a recommendation for a hotel/motel in a convenient location. For just a few hours, a Holiday Inn type place will be fine.

Also, would like a dining suggestion for that night - we would like to go to a really nice place, but obviously couldn't do justice to a Very Special Occasion-type place.

Thank you kindly for any assistance you can provide!

Michigan
Level Contributor
426 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Asheville in eighteen hours? Could use some help!

yes you can use part of the Blue Ridge Parkway to get from Asheville to Cashiers. I suggest this drive for scenery. Take the Blue Ridge Parkway out of Asheville Head west. Exit at highway 276 and head south. It is a beautiful drive with a creek along side the road. Towards the end there is a beautiful waterfalls right on the road. It a must see. About 2 miles south of the falls is a road to the right that takes you to the state Trout hatchery. Go here. Its a lot of fun and you can feed the fish. Its free too. Go back to 276 till it ends at highway 64. Turn right which would be west. Go to the quanit town of Brevard and park downtown. It has several fine shops. We like the one on the corner called the White Squerrel. If you are lucky enough you might see one in town. If you want lunch theres a nice Irish Pub that serves great food and you can sit outside. then head west on 64 to Cashiers. There is a brand new Hampton Inn in Cashiers. Its on the right side of the road before you get to Cashiers. This should be perfect for you. As for dinner we like Cornucopia in Cashiers which is north of Cashiers on 107. Ask the locals for directions. They are very friendly. Have fun.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
732 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Asheville in eighteen hours? Could use some help!

Thank you so much, Lee!

Can you suggest a place for dinner in Asheville? We will be arriving late (8:30), but would enjoy having a nice dinner.

We are staying at the Country Inn and Suites on Tunnel Road.

Thanks!

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
674 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asheville in eighteen hours? Could use some help!

I know this is a chain, but we don't have them in Texas. We were recommended to Bonefish which is off of Tunnel Road when we stayed in Aug 2005. The food was absolutely fabulous. We are going back to Ashville in Oct. and probably will eat here several times. We are very picky. I don't think you can go wrong with this restaurant. Classy atmosphere and service. The food is fresh and beyond comparison to the other restaurants we encountered in Asheville.

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Asheville in eighteen hours? Could use some help!

Sofie, what type of food do you desire? Asheville is renowned for its great restaurants and I can recommend at least 10 depending on your food preference.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
732 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Asheville in eighteen hours? Could use some help!

Thank you, Jaime, and JSB.

We like everything; not crazy about Asian. Local cuisine would be great. Other than barbecue, I'm not sure what local would consist of. Also, we like New American, American, seafood, French, Cuban, Mexican. Not so much Italian, unless you say that's the can't- miss place.

We'll be arriving late, so that's a factor.

Also, would like to go somewhere fairly close to our hotel, Country Suites on Tunnel.

Thank you so much for your help!

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Asheville in eighteen hours? Could use some help!

I'd recommend any of the following:

Salsa's--Latin American

Vincenzo's--excellent Italian (though, I realize you said you're not that interested in Italian)

Cottonwood Cafe--American

Savoy--seafood

Early Girl Eatery--Southern/local

Tupelo Honey--Southern/local

Zambra--tapas

All of the above (except the Savoy) are downtown and within 2 miles of your hotel (the Savoy is probably 3 miles away). I believe all of these locations are open until 9 or 10 on weeknights.

Here's a helpful link for you:

http://www.exploreasheville.com/dining.asp

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
732 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Asheville in eighteen hours? Could use some help!

Thank you! Lots of choices - they all sound good.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Michigan
Level Contributor
426 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Asheville in eighteen hours? Could use some help!

Sofia when you get back please tell us of your trip. Have fun.

9. Re: Asheville in eighteen hours? Could use some help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, August 24, 2009