We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hikes to Do Alone

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hikes to Do Alone

I'm moving back to Minnesota after living in Charlotte for the past year so am doing one last trip to Asheville. I will be traveling alone and am planning to do 3 hikes over the course of 3 days, so one hike/day. I don't know when/if I will return to this area so I want to make the most of my weekend in the Asheville area. and While I have perused a lot of different websites to pick my 3 hikes in the Asheville area, I appreciate any feedback/suggestions/advice from those who are more familiar with the area. This is what I'm thinking:

1. DuPont Forest Waterfalls Hike (to Bridal Veil Falls)

2. Black Balsam Knob to Deep Creek on the Art Loeb Trail

3. Looking Glass Rock Trail

If you were me and it was your last weekend in the Asheville area, would you choose different hikes?

NC
Level Contributor
440 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hikes to Do Alone

They look like good choices, but I do not advise hiking alone.

blueridgenow.com/article/…

Edited: 5:12 pm, April 25, 2014
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hikes to Do Alone

Oh wow... thanks for sharing that article. I will have to see if I can find a local hiking group to possibly hike with.

Waynesville,NC
Level Contributor
355 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hikes to Do Alone

If it was my last weekend in the area, I wouldn't miss Max Patch. While it's not much of a hike to the summit, the view is among the most breath taking in this neck of the woods. It's also on the AT, making it a great day hike from Hartford, TN. Standing Bear Farm runs shuttles and may have a group you can hook up with.

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hikes to Do Alone

How funny - I just hiked a bit of Black Balsam's Knob (to Tennant Mountain) in addition to the Looking Glass Rock trail today! If I compared the two, BBK had the more immediate payback since the trail itself is scenic, plus you can go on as long as you want and it will give you the goods. LGR's trail was honestly not very scenic, and it's more strenuous, but once you reach the lookout it was amazing.

So one was relatively easy with consistently good views, the other is more demanding and trying but with a great view at the end. Does that help?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hikes to Do Alone

Thanks, Scott. That is helpful actually. I am trying to find someone to do one of those two hikes with me. The post about the bears/warnings against hiking alone have me thinking it's wise to try to find a buddy. I think BBK probably sounds more appealing since the trail itself is scenic!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hikes to Do Alone

Definitely BBK and even on to Tennant Mountain. I also love Max Patch - one of the prettiest spots in the NC mountains. Not to be missed.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
382 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hikes to Do Alone

Get yourself a Coghlan bear bell. It is AWESOME and has worked for me hiking the AT in Northern GA. It is in a mesh bag with a magnet on the bottom, so when you don't want it to rattle, then put it in the bag. If you want to make some noise, then remove the mesh bag. Has velcro so you can attach it to anything. Awesome thing that I would not hike without! Pepper spray is also a good idea.....I like mine that shoots 2 shots. Good for creapy people on the trail! ;) Don't advise hiking alone. Lots of hiking clubs around here.

8. Re: Best Hikes to Do Alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 03, 2015