We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Govt Shutdown

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
102 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Govt Shutdown

I know the blue ridge parkway is open and I also know any kind of visitor services are closed, but what about the overlooks? Are they open or are there barricades that prevent you from pulling off the road? Same question for parking lots at hiking trails - open or barricaded?

And yes, I know I can find plenty of outdoorsy things to do in the state parks. I'm just trying to put together plan B. Thanks!

DFW, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Govt Shutdown

Yes Ponchopup I checked the newspaper link but my specific questions are still unanswered by the newspapers. I was hoping to hear from someone who has actually driven it since the shutdown.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,567 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Govt Shutdown

I didn't post a newspaper link. I posted a facebook link that has reports from travelers in the area. https:/…BlueRidgeParkwayDaily You just have to scroll through and read the comments people have left about which overlooks and areas are open. It's the most thorough resource I've come across yet.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
102 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Govt Shutdown

panchopup - thanks for link, it's very helpful.

CarawbaCarl - I agree with your sentiment, but your response wasn't exactly what I was looking for!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
709 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Govt Shutdown

The turnoff to Waterrock Knob is blocked as is the entrance to Pisgah Inn according to their webpage as of yesterday.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
709 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Govt Shutdown

The turnoff to Waterrock Knob is blocked as is the entrance to Pisgah Inn according to their webpage as of yesterday.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Govt Shutdown

Pisgah Inn is open as of Oct. 9.

foxnews.com/politics/…

17. Re: Govt Shutdown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 11, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Asheville