We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay Vistiors in Asheville

Boston
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gay Vistiors in Asheville

Hi!

My friends and I have heard that Asheville can be an interesting vacation destination for gay travelers. My friends and I from Boston are thinking about a long weekend trip in the Fall.

Does anyone have any advice? Is it a welconing town? Things to do? We would definitely like to see the Biltmore, etc....

Thanks

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gay Vistiors in Asheville

Asheville is an extremely welcoming town...about as good as it gets in the south (though not quite as good as Atlanta, of course).

Things to do:

Biltmore

Folk Art Mountain Center

Blue Ridge Parkway

downtown shops

Wonderful, eclectic mix of restaurants

good local music scene with lots of music clubs

PA
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gay Vistiors in Asheville

Asheville Art Museum in Pack Square is very nice to see, if you like the idea of going to a museum. Also, there are lots of small & interesting shops in the downtown area. Do allow plenty of time to see Biltmore, as it's grounds & buildings are extensive. Have a great time!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Gay Vistiors in Asheville

My honest question is....why does it matter if a traveler is gay? Do gay people not like the same travel features as other people? Why must it be an issue? Why not just tell what types of things you want to see and let people make suggestions? Are gay people that different from others? Do you want to travel and enjoy the area or make a statement? No hard feelings - I just don't understand the label.

Michigan
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gay Vistiors in Asheville

Bud41 - - I would guess that JoeBoston was looking for confirmation that he and his friend wouldn't be harassed if they traveled together and appeared in public as a couple. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. No different than me asking if Asheville's a family-friendly or pet-friendly place to be if you're travelling with small children or pets.

Northampton...
Level Contributor
77 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gay Vistiors in Asheville

Asheville is sufficiently gay-friendly as to have a website especially for gay/lesbian visitors. Check it out:

www.romanticasheville.com/gayandlesbian.html

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gay Vistiors in Asheville

EXACTLY, luvinvegas. Bud41, Joe was just making sure that he and his friends would be accepted without being harassed or beat up. The rest of his questions were standard fare "what to do?"

Joe,I forgot to mention Malaprops (an alternative bookstore) and there are a few gay nightclubs, too.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Gay Vistiors in Asheville

It just seems silly - I don't ask if a place is heterosexual friendly, or if I'm going to Salt Lake City I don't ask if it is bigamist friendly. I can't see why sexuality plays into travel unless the trip is sexually oriented. It's like society is being forced to accept someone else's preference. JMHO.

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gay Vistiors in Asheville

bud, please tell us how often folks are harassed, beaten up, or killed for being heterosexual. Oh, that's right, you can't name a single instance.

Please tell us one city in which there are no clubs that cater to heterosexuals. Oh, that's right, you can't name a single one.

Joe, please ignore this poster. The rest of us have answered your reasonable questions, I hope.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Gay Vistiors in Asheville

I addressed my comments to the original poster. Because this is an open forum anyone can reply. However, it is childish to tell someone to a "ignore" post. I think we may say " I disagree" with a post - but to ignore seems a little "intolerant". Oh, did I use that word? LOL. Too many extremes here, I think. Everyone have a good week.

10. Re: Gay Vistiors in Asheville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, August 12, 2009