We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anniversary trip in the fall

USA
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
anniversary trip in the fall

We are planning a trip to Asheville for a big anniversary, this October. I know it is busy season, so we want to book accommodations very soon. I am having a hard time deciding between downtown (in which case I think we would stay at Haywood) or a B&B. If a B&B, I would want some place not too "frilly" or "precious," (I don't have much use for lace canopy beds), really high quality, and not too far from town. Suggestions? Or maybe it is more convenient to stay at Haywood, and not have to drive home from dinner, find parking, etc. I realize this is personal preference, but interested in any insights and any great Inn or B&B suggestions.

Also, any suggestions for an "anniversary dinner" restaurant? The kind of food is less important to us than that is be terrific for what it is. Do Asheville restaurants tend to allow corkage? (I am not trying to save money on wine, but would like to bring a "once in a decade" type wine to a special dinner).

Thanks.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anniversary trip in the fall

You might consider the 1889 Whitegate Inn. It's within walking distance to downtown, it's very high quality, and the rooms are great. We stayed in the Elizabeth Barrett Browning suite for our 20th anniversary and loved it. While it's named after a woman, it's not at all feminine--you can see a picture of it on their website.

Edited: 2:26 pm, July 10, 2013
Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: anniversary trip in the fall

Hi there,

The Asheville CVB here. Congratulations on your anniversary. I love that you're planning to spend it here in Asheville. To answer your question about restaurants, I recommend this round up of the top romantic eateries in town. These are the results of an online poll we conducted a few month back: …exploreasheville.com/2013/02/top-10-romanti…

Many places allow corkage. Just call and check beforehand to make sure.

Enjoy your trip!

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anniversary trip in the fall

While it's 20 minutes from downtown, The Sourwood Inn is a casual rather than frilly B&B which has amazing views , a nice thing during fall leaf season, and also offers great food for dinner as well as breakfast.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anniversary trip in the fall

Black Walnut Inn is awesome!

For dinner, either Curate' or Lemone's. Reservations much in advance!

USA
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anniversary trip in the fall

I have heard that restaurants tend to book up in advance, and I guess that will be even more so in mid October since it is a busy tourist season. So how long in advance should we make restaurant reservations? If we do it a month in advance, is that likely to be sufficient even at the most popular restaurants? Thanks.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anniversary trip in the fall

I suggest making your choices and then call and ask each restaurant about timing of reservation confirmations.

7. Re: anniversary trip in the fall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 31, 2014