We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asheville Trip Report 4/22/13-4/26/13 (Day Five)

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
grady,al
Level Contributor
304 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Asheville Trip Report 4/22/13-4/26/13 (Day Five)

Well, I hated to leave, just as I had suspected. We slept until nine, and then got up and showered and packed. DH went to get the car, I called the bellhop station for a bellman. Once again, everyone here was so nice. When we told the bellman we were going to self park again, so that we could tour the grounds before we left, he told us to just leave the car. We left it out front, and they watched it for us. We walked around, took pictures, and went back to the gift shop and bought a book about the history of the place as well as a few other mementos. We walked down into the spa, which is supposed to be amazing. Maybe next time, if there is a next time. After that, we loaded ourselves up and said goodbye to Asheville, heading home. Great weather again. A few tips about the GPI: you are charged a daily resort fee. $27 with tax. They do not give you a detailed map of the GPI and where things are located. At least we did not get one. I had to look things up on my laptop in the room. That would be a helpful thing to have, because the place is large. They are having their 100 year anniversary celebration this July. BB King will be there, we were told by one employee. The Sunset Terrace dining room is closed for renovation for the anniversary. The view is supposed to be wonderful, definitely reservations if it is open when you go. Also, in the historic section, there is a trick to opening the room doors. Ask the elevator attendant. We were headed back down to report our keys did not work and she just smiled and asked if she could give it a try. Slide it slowly and it works. Once again, great customer service. The GPI was acquired by a hotel corporation in 2012, but they seem to be doing a great job. If you like golfing, they have a great course. Cannot say enough good things. We got a great deal on our room, a special they were running online. Check their website for specials. Also, I booked online, and it said there were no rooms available in the historic section. I added a message to the reservation that we really wanted to stay in the historic section, with my cell number. The next morning, the reservation CSR called me and told me that they had been able to do that for me. It never hurts to ask. Funny thing, this hotel and the Haywood both only gave us 2 washcloths daily but a ton of bath towels. I had to ask every day at the Haywood for extra cloths, and even when I left a note we just received more towels. ??? We had such a good time, and I do hope to return again one day. I hope this helps some people that are planning to go. Any questions, just ask and I will answer if I can. There was a lot more we did not get to see or do or eat, we just ran out of time.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,269 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asheville Trip Report 4/22/13-4/26/13 (Day Five)

I really enjoyed all your trip reports. Sounds like a great get-away! My husband and I stayed in the GPI two years ago for a wedding. Had a wonderful time. The place is gorgeous, isn't it! (I have a review of GPI on here too)

I would love to go back to Asheville and explore the town itself, as we didn't have a chance to do so when we were there.

grady,al
Level Contributor
304 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Asheville Trip Report 4/22/13-4/26/13 (Day Five)

Yes I loved the GPI. I will definitely go back if I have a chance. I will check out your review. Happy travels

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asheville Trip Report 4/22/13-4/26/13 (Day Five)

Thanks for taking the time to do such a detailed trip report. It sounds like you had a great time in our little city and surrounds. April 23 was also our anniversary, but we went elsewhere to celebrate..time for me to start working on my trip report and reviews!

grady,al
Level Contributor
304 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Asheville Trip Report 4/22/13-4/26/13 (Day Five)

:) We loved it!

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
381 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Asheville Trip Report 4/22/13-4/26/13 (Day Five)

Thank you for all of your wonderful trip reports. I really enjoyed reading them, and it certainly gave me a lot of great information for our upcoming trip to Asheville in mid-May. Happy Belated Anniversary to you and your DH!

6. Re: Asheville Trip Report 4/22/13-4/26/13 (Day Five)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 04, 2014