We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little Switzerland, questions about area, 4th of July

Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Little Switzerland, questions about area, 4th of July

I don't think the Little Switzerland board is too hopping so I thought I'd post here instead.

We are staying in a friend's cabin near Little Switzerland the week of the 4th of July. We would like to make a day trip to Asheville to check out the downtown area and a few brewpubs. We'll have our 4 year old daughter with us though so we won't be getting too wild. :) We're mainly looking for an area where we can walk around and shop, hop in for a bite for lunch and a good beer, then we'll be heading back to our cabin. I heard there is a store with many beers for sale - my husband collects bottlecaps and since we're driving from Nebraska we would like to take some beers home with us.

What else should we do in Asheville? We thought about the Biltmore but thought it might be a bit boring for our daughter.

Also, since we'll be there over the 4th, where would you recommend watching fireworks? I imagine my husband would prefer to stay closer to our cabin and in a smaller town vs. fighting traffic in Asheville.

Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions you have!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Little Switzerland, questions about area, 4th of July

Fireworks on the 4th of July are always fun. We watched some a few years back in Burnsville, NC (about a half hour from Little Switzerland). There might also be some in Spruce Pine, which is a little bit closer. It would be nice to be closer to home and your cabin when they're over!

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Little Switzerland, questions about area, 4th of July

The Western NC Nature Center will fascinate your child (and the adults too!). You can get through it in an hour or less, so it won't take up a lot of your day. I agree the Biltmore may be a bit much for a four-year-old, and since you only have one day it would use up a good portion of it.

About the beer, there are a number of great places. I like Barley's Tap Room for the selection, and Jack of the Wood for the ambience, but there are lots of other great choices. Both are fine for little kids during the daytime.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Little Switzerland, questions about area, 4th of July

Wow, thanks for the quick and wonderful responses!

Naples, FL
Level Contributor
89 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Little Switzerland, questions about area, 4th of July

Spruce Pine, Burnsville and Marion fireworks would be closest to Little Switzerland. All within about 15 miles.

Based in Little Switzerland, you're right on the Blue Ridge Parkway and in easy striking distance to check out numerous small towns where you can walk around, duck into shops and stop for a beer.

Take the Blue Ridge Parkway right to Spruce Pine. It might be fun to take your daughter gem mining - there are tons of gem mining places in Spruce Pine where you can sift through a bucket to find some nice gemstones. While there, stop at DT's for coffee and a snack or at Foxfire's bar/restaurant for some brew or even moonshine.

Burnsville was a dry county forever, but recently that was overturned and they now have a wine shop and sell beer and wine. Yay! There is an old fashioned town square with shops and restaurants around it, worth checking out. Take the Blue Ridge Parkway to NC-80 and then it will be about 14 miles to Burnsville.

It may be fun to take your daughter horseback riding, We did it at Spring Maid Ranch in Spruce Pine and it was a nice ride through woods and across a river.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
420 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Little Switzerland, questions about area, 4th of July

Send your hubby to the bottle shop on Broadway called Bruisin' Ales. They have a massive selection of craft beers and glasses. If you want to hit a brewery in the downtown area, check out the Green Man Brewery on Buxton. Nice spot, they'll give your kid a basket of pretzels and some mustard on the house. For more of a meal try Barleys Tap Room on Biltmore ave. Lots of choices and very kid friendly. Biltmore ave and Broadway are the same street in downtown. There are 3 parking garages on that drag. I also second the WNC Nature Center. Great place. Lots of critters for your kid to enjoy.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Little Switzerland, questions about area, 4th of July

Thanks everyone! The small towns and little shops sound right up my alley. I think my daughter would really enjoy the gem mining. Not so sure about the horses. I rode a horse up a mountain in Colorado about 20 years ago and haven't been on a horse since. :) But, I know the mountains of NC are a bit different than the Rockies.

I can't wait for our trip!!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Little Switzerland, questions about area, 4th of July

So, if we were going to park somewhere in downtown Asheville that would be walking distance to shops and restaurants, where would that be? Or, should we just determine where we'd like to eat and just park close to there? Is it mainly one street, several blocks, etc.?

Irmo, South Carolina
Level Contributor
287 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Little Switzerland, questions about area, 4th of July

You may want to check out Black Mountain also. Great shops and restaurants.

Johnson City...
Level Contributor
191 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Little Switzerland, questions about area, 4th of July

Downtown Asheville is several,several blocks and lots of things to see/explore/shop and places to eat. Finding parking is usually not a problem...of course if you are going somewhere specific you would want to park close. I would recommend the Wall Street parking garage it is near a lot of the restaurants and shops.Once you get to Asheville I would get/find one of the free and detailed maps of the downtown or their might be one online. Hope you have a wonderful trip. I love Asheville and Little Switzerland and Eastern NC.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Little Switzerland, questions about area, 4th of July

Thanks, Debbie, that is very helpful! We are excited. :)