We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asheville in one day

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Asheville in one day

I'm planning in mid-June on driving from Nashville in the afternoon to Asheville and spending the night there. I wanted to know if this plan was doable.

Breakfast, tour of Biltmore Estate including the free wine tasting, late lunch and walking through downtown Asheville before driving to Clingsman Dome in the National Park and seeing it for about an hour or so and arrive in Knoxville before 9pm to spend the night. Also, my parents and 13 yr old brother probably won't take the Biltmore tour since they're not willing nor interested enough to spend close to $50 on it so any suggestions for them to do while i'm at Biltmore?

I'd appreciate any feedback and/or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Asheville in one day

It's doable but will be exhausting. Walking the Biltmore House and grounds alone is very tiring to me. Add all the other in and you'll be quite spent. The biggest draw in Asheville is the Biltmore. It is pricey but there is no place like it in the US. It's more than the house- it's the gardens and the winery and the countryside. I hope they don't regret missing it.

They could go downtown and visit some of the funky shops - but they tend to appeal to the Bohemian crowd. They could also drive down I-26 to the Farmer's Market if that interests them- that's free. They could zip over to Grove Park Inn and have a meal or walk around. There are some shops near the Biltmore entrance but that would not occupy them the whole time you are visiting the house. The Arboretum is close by and a good value. What are they interested in?

Northampton...
Level Contributor
77 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Asheville in one day

Look, I realize that Biltmore is very attractive to a lot of people. But I don't think you need to go there to have a rewarding stay in Asheville. Here's an alternative notion: Drive into downtown. Park the car at the Wall St. garage. Have breakfast at Tupelo Honey on College St. or at the City Bakery on Biltmore Ave. Go into the Grove Arcade and check out the shops. Walk up Haywood to Malaprops and check out the books. Stop in at the Woolworth Walk and dig the local arts and crafts stuff. Walk over to the Asheville Art Museum in Pack Square and see the new, all-summer-long exhibit of Black Mountain art. Have lunch at any of the sidwalk cafes in Pack Square. If it is Saturday afternoon, walk a few blocks down Biltmore to the Asheville Wine Market, which has free tastings every Saturday afternoon from 1 to 4 pm. Take in a movie at the Fine Arts. Have an ice cream cone at The Marble Slab. On your way back to Wall St., stop in at Olde Europe and have a cappucino for the road.

Or, if you're so inclined, spend an afternoon at the UNCA botanical garden.

Or, if you want an Alternative Culture experience, traipse down Lexington Avenue north of Patton and check out all the crazy kid boutiques and used record stores. Stop in at Smashing Guitars and meet Owen, who once upon a time ripped it up as bassist for the Butthole Surfers.

....or go to Biltmore and hand this itinerary to your family. Your parents will like the art, and your brother will flip over Owen.

Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asheville in one day

Thanks for the suggestions. My parents and brother may enjoy the downtown area. They're basically typical tourists that like to be entertained, not really into the things I like such as architecture or quirky stuff. Are there any scenic, yet entertaining places in the immediate Asheville area anyone can suggest.

Durham. UK
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Asheville in one day

How about Chimney Rock and Beaver Lake, both within easy reach of Asheville. And don't forget to try the ice cream at The Marble Slab, it's delicious.

tennessee
Level Contributor
383 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Asheville in one day

about your brother....go on the biltmore site....his age is getting in for free....

Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Asheville in one day

Thanks for your responses, I went on June 14-15.

We arrived around 5PM on the 14th and walked around parts of downtown, although I had forgotten to visit Lower Lexington. The architecture was interesting, with the art deco pretty advanced for a southern state during the time. I didn't get the sense of the artistic and alternative culture that was supposedly present. So I guess the city must be phasing that part out. We ate at Early Girl Eatery which I liked, but my mother was disappointed with her salad which didnt look very fresh.

The next day, my brother and I went to Biltmore and we got through it faster than I expected. I'm usually quick when touring places which can be a detriment at times. After buying a few wines, we stopped for pie at Picnics before driving through the Smoky National Park. There was an accident on Newfound Gap Rd, so we didn't have time to go to Clingman's Dome. The park was nice, but it probably would have been nicer at sunset. Overall, a nice visit to Asheville, but I was a little underwhelmed at times.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Asheville in one day

and thanks for reporting back - so many people don't.

8. Re: Asheville in one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 14, 2009