We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asheville area airports

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
Asheville area airports

I understand that Asheville Regional Airport is a smaller airport. What is the closest major or mid-sized airport? Which larger airport would have the easier drive to Asheville? I'm traveling in late March 2013 with my sister & mother. We'd like to avoid very small planes if possible.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
6,599 posts
126 reviews
1. Re: Asheville area airports

The Asheville Airport is very user friendly, but most likely, would require a connection. There is also Knoxville, Tennessee and Charlotte, NC. Both of these airports are about a 2 hour--- 2.5 hour distance from Asheville. Either alternates airports are easy commutes, via major roadways. No problems.

Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Asheville area airports

Thanks for that info. What about the Greenville airport? I think Southwest flies there.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
6,599 posts
126 reviews
3. Re: Asheville area airports

Greenville would work also. Does SW offer direct service for you? Air Tran flies into Charlotte. It is owned now by SW.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
420 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: Asheville area airports

Greenville is an hour and 20 min away. Nice airport. Charlotte is 2 hours away. Asheville is small and about 20 minutes from downtown. Southwest does fly from Greenville.

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
228 posts
177 reviews
5. Re: Asheville area airports

We fly Southwest once a year from Orlando to Greenville-Spartanburg airport nonstop. It is a very nice small airport. Rental cars are right at the airport. The luggage claim is right next to the rental car counters. It's a quick hour + from their to the Asheville area, via I-85 to I-26.

Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Asheville area airports

We will be flying from Austin TX but I think we will have to make 1-stop on the way, probably Houston. We really like using Southwest & that hour+ drive from Greenville-Spartanburg sounds good.

Thanks to everyone for sharing the info.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
14 posts
146 reviews
7. Re: Asheville area airports

If you check the type aircraft you will be flying-and this info is available when booking-you can fly small jets (50-60 people) into AVL airport. These smaller jets are great, easy on and off and little baggage time wait.Look for the letters CR-J in type of aircraft and you will be fine.

8. Re: Asheville area airports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 13, 2013