We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Route from NYS to Asheville on way to Florida

Westchester
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Route from NYS to Asheville on way to Florida

We will be driving from Westchester County to Asheville NC enroute to Florida in December and would be very appreciative of driving route to Asheville. Leaving early morning Dec 27 and need to be in Asheville afternoon of Dec 29. Thanks.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Route from NYS to Asheville on way to Florida

I find that Google is the best mapping service. Notice that they give you alternative routes and times. Be safe!

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Westchester,+NY&daddr=Asheville,+NC

Edited: 10:24 pm, September 30, 2012
Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Route from NYS to Asheville on way to Florida

You should be able to do this easily in two days. We often travel Asheville-Maine via I-81. It's a tradeoff between taking I-77 or staying on 81 to I-26. The latter is more scenic.

Westchester
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Route from NYS to Asheville on way to Florida

Thanks very much. We will take 81 to 26. Any recommendations where to stop for overnight accommodations or how to break up the two day trip ?

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Route from NYS to Asheville on way to Florida

Everyone travels differently. I've made similar 12-hour trips on 81 in one day, just to get it done.

If you want to stop, I would choose Wytheville, Virginia. You would get the majority of your trip out of the way on the 27th. You would arrive in Asheville fairly early on the 28th and then you would have the afternoon and evening of the 28th to check out Asheville.

BTW, Wytheville has a *lot* of chain hotels.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g58337-Wytheville_Vir…

You might consider making a reservation. At times, I've driven as far as I could and pulled into a hotel without reservations. I've regretted it too-I've had to travel a ways off 81 to find a hotel that wasn't booked. :)

Just a thought.

Westchester
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Route from NYS to Asheville on way to Florida

Ways2Go, you have been a great help....I certainly will consider making a reservation. Many thanks.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Route from NYS to Asheville on way to Florida

You are welcome. Have a wonderful trip!

7. Re: Driving Route from NYS to Asheville on way to Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, December 15, 2013