We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wed afternoon idea?

Ridgeway, VA
Level Contributor
120 posts
178 reviews
Save Topic
wed afternoon idea?

We are coming to asheville this week with 3 kids ages 10, 14 and 14 - staying in a cabin in Mars Hill. Our tentative schedule is to arrive wednesday around lunch. On thursday we will either do the rock water slide and hiking waterfalls or chimney rock. On friday we will do biltmore then downtown asheville including art museums and end the evening with dinner and drums (please dont recommend more time at Biltmore - I think that the kids attention span will be pretty short). On saturday, we leave and so i am thinking of stopping in black moutain for the sourwood festival? My question is what can we do wednesday afternoon? I would like to go to Mt Mitchell but i think it is about an hour north on the parkway and think the kids won't want to be in the car? Any ideas? White water rafting is an option. Please provide any thoughts on our plans- we are flexible!

Thanks in advance for any help.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wed afternoon idea?

If you think your children might like to get some fresh air and exercise closer to Asheville, check out either the North Carolina Arboretum (lots of hiking trails in a lovely setting) or Asheville Botanical Garden. Both are closer than Mt Mitchell. White water rafting will involve more car time. You know better than I if your children (and you) will be up for that.

I'm not sure what route you're taking to Mars Hill, but another 'hike' option is Max Patch Bald which is probably not too far out of your way. It's a lovely spot - great views. You can get some more info on

www.romanticasheville.com

Edited: 7:57 pm, August 06, 2012
Atlanta
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: wed afternoon idea?

Max Patch is a great idea. I think it would be to long of a drive from Mars Hill for an afternoon. There is ziplining near Bernardsville. About 25 minutes from Mars Hill.

Ridgeway, VA
Level Contributor
120 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wed afternoon idea?

Thanks! We may do the ziplining. I appreciate your help.

4. Re: wed afternoon idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, August 21, 2013