We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Trip Suggestions-Family of 5-August 11-16

Surfside Beach...
2 posts
Save Topic
Need Trip Suggestions-Family of 5-August 11-16

We have 3 kids ages 20,16,10. The things on the list are Biltmore House, Whitewater Rafting, Worleys Cave, Ziplining or Tubing. I am not sure where to go rafting. I was just going to find places to stay wherever we ended up each day. I am open to renting a cabin if everything is nearby. We are trying to get away from the beach and crowds:)

Any other suggestions?

Edited: 10:17 am, July 11, 2012
Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
378 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Trip Suggestions-Family of 5-August 11-16

A cabin sounds good. Check out Carolina Mornings, or the Residences of Biltmore may work for you too (it's in between downtown and the Biltmore Estate). I think at cabin will work better for you though! The rivers here (French Broad) tend to be low at that time of year due to lack of rain. So, you might check out a dam controlled river like the Nantahala River. For zipline, you can't beat Navitat. FYI - we have lots of people (Floridians) here trying to escape the heat! However, it is still hot here! Check the weather before you come! We have already reached record highs here this summer!

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
378 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Trip Suggestions-Family of 5-August 11-16

A cabin sounds good. Check out Carolina Mornings, or the Residences of Biltmore may work for you too (it's in between downtown and the Biltmore Estate). I think at cabin will work better for you though! The rivers here (French Broad) tend to be low at that time of year due to lack of rain. So, you might check out a dam controlled river like the Nantahala River. For zipline, you can't beat Navitat. FYI - we have lots of people (Floridians) here trying to escape the heat! However, it is still hot here! Check the weather before you come! We have already reached record highs here this summer!

Tifton, Georgia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Trip Suggestions-Family of 5-August 11-16

I just returned from a week in NC. My kids are ages 19 and 22. We went whitewater rafting with USARAFT.com...We did the Nolichuky River. It was an awesome event for all of us...The Nolichuky had 3's and 4s rapids...which we all loved. The water was high due to so much rain lately. So I would go on this trip everyday if we could. The folks who operate it were very nice and well trained. My kids also liked the Biltmore, but I dont think it compared to the rafting....lol...We also went hiking a bit in Dupont Forest to see the waterfalls. They were nice. We wanted to do Sliding Rock in Hendersonville, but couldnt fit it in. We stayed in a cabin in Chimney Rock---which we were never able to visit because it rained almost the entire week we were there..Just ask them what they want to do because it has something to offer everyone..Sounds like you are on the right track...Good luck !

Raleigh
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Trip Suggestions-Family of 5-August 11-16

Hi mhwgoodyear,

The North Carolina Division of Tourism suggests checking out our itineraries page. This page has a lot of great activities for family bonding in Western North Carolina! A great one to start with would be the “Family Adventure in the Southern Mountains of North Carolina."

Here is the direct link: visitnc.com/itineraries/index/100002/1/recent

Hope this helps!

Family Adventure in the Southern Mountains of North Carolina- visitnc.com/itineraries/index/100002/1/recent

5. Re: Need Trip Suggestions-Family of 5-August 11-16

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 18, 2013