We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Ridge Parkway: Boone to Gatlinburg?

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Ridge Parkway: Boone to Gatlinburg?

Planning right now for a roadtrip, and wanting to drive some of the Blue Ridge. Here's the plan so far:

Atlanta [1 night] > Savannah [3 nights] > Charleston [3 nights] > ?Blowing Rock[1 night]? > Asheville [2 nights] > Smoky Mountains [2 nights] > Nashville [3 nights] > Memphis [3 nights] > ?Clarksdale/Vicksburg/Natchez [1 night]? > New Orleans [3 nights] > Atlanta [2 nights]

I've got two spare nights floating around, I did want to do 4 nights in New Orleans but have cut it down to 3 instead. As I want to see smaller towns aswell as big, but I'm not sure if I need 2 nights in Asheville, we want to see the Biltmore Estate, so I might even be able to cut Asheville down to 1 night. What do you think?

I was hoping to drive some of the Blue Ridge Parkway, and spending the night in either Boone or Blowing Rock, doing this route http://goo.gl/maps/zGXw to the Smokies. Is this a good route to do..are they sights & beautiful views along the way?

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway: Boone to Gatlinburg?

Yes- that is a beautiful drive. Many sights and views along the way. Too much for one day, though.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway: Boone to Gatlinburg?

I was thinking if I cut Asheville down to one night.

- Charleston > Boone/Blowing Rock, spend the night

- Next day drive to Asheville on Blue Ridge. Then either tour the Biltmore Estate that day, and see Estate at Christmas time all lit up, we'll be there around Dec 16th or so. [not sure if this is too much for one day] Or spend the night

- Tour Biltmore Estate in morning. No xmas lights. Drive to Smokies in afternoon on Blue Ridge.

How do you tour the Biltmore Estate, do u just wander around? I've prefer just to see it on the evening all lit up and then tour it the next day. Is this possible without buying two loads of tickets one for each day ??

Ohio
Level Contributor
736 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway: Boone to Gatlinburg?

Admission to the Biltmore includes self-guided tours of the Biltmore House & Gardens, and the Antler Hill Village—featuring the Winery, The Biltmore Legacy, Village Green, and Farm. So yes, you are wandering around however, for the house, I recall tours beginning at designated times so as to stagger the crowds. There are specialty tours also, with an additional fee. Unfortunately, if you want to tour on 2 separate days, that would require admission on 2 days unless you have a 12 month pass.

It's best to acquire a reservation if you are touring on a designated busy day.

http://www.biltmore.com/visit/trip/timed.asp

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway: Boone to Gatlinburg?

I think the section of the BRP between Blowing Rock and Asheville is the nicest and most varied on the entire Parkway. I would stay in Blowing rock rather than Boone, and would stick with two nights in Asheville-there is much more to see and do than Biltmore. While on the Parkway, cnsider a side trip to Grandfather Mountain and Linville Falls. They are both only about a mile off the parkway and well worth the time.

Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway: Boone to Gatlinburg?

Check the Biltmore site for info on second day tickets. During most of the year, I know that if you purchase a one-day ticket, you can upgrade it before you leave that day to get next-day admission for $10.00. I don't know whether they do that all year. It's a good deal if they do.

Ohio
Level Contributor
736 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway: Boone to Gatlinburg?

zoomtrvllrn, I'm glad to see your post. I must have asked my question about 2nd day ticket incorrectly because I received a different answer while at the Biltmore. I double checked the website and it does say "Enjoy a second, consecutive day of all Biltmore has to offer for only $10. Upgrade on your day of visit at any of the Guest Service locations on the estate. Includes access to Biltmore House, Gardens, Antler Hill Village & Winery, and all shops and restaurants."

Good to know.

www.biltmore.com/buy_tickets/specials.asp

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway: Boone to Gatlinburg?

Are you interested in outdoorsy activities? If so, you may want to add a night in Brevard/Hendersonville area after your Asheville night(s). If you drive the BRP to Brevard, you will go across Mt Pisgah which is a beautiful sight to behold. Brevard/Hendersonville offer quaint, little downtowns ("Home of the White Squirrel") with neat shopping and dining. This is the land of the waterfalls, where you can hike to Triple Falls, High Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, etc (backdrops for such movies as Last of the Mohicans and Hunger Games). Sliding Rock is a cool destination, a natural water-slide (that costs only $1 I believe). Enjoy!

-gn

8. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway: Boone to Gatlinburg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 18, 2013