We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tips on visiting the Biltmore estate?

Chicago
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Topic
Any tips on visiting the Biltmore estate?

We are traveling in April. Trying to avoid the weekend, but because of other commitments, it looks like Friday is the best day for us to go. Does anyone have any tips, things not to be missed, specific tours etc. ?

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any tips on visiting the Biltmore estate?

Hi there,

The Asheville CVB here. I was at Biltmore the other day and they were planting the tulips for the upcoming Festival of Flowers. Depending on when you are visiting in April you might see them in full blooms.

Also opening in early April is a new exhibit in the Antler Hill Village called Vanderbilts, At Home and Abroad. They will have some really unique artifacts from George and Edith's travels across the globe.

The food is really good on the Estate as well. My favorites are:

1. The Bistro - fine dining and delicious!

2. Deerpark (gourmet buffet)

3. Cedric's Tavern - Good pub food.

Friday is an okay day to visit. So I wouldn't worry about the crowds too much.

Have a great time!

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
61 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any tips on visiting the Biltmore estate?

We will be visiting in May. Does anyone know if the "extras" are worth it? We were thinking of either book a Segway tour or a horseback tour. Would hate to spend the extra money if not really worth it.

Thanks for the food recs--we plan to eat lunch there.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any tips on visiting the Biltmore estate?

I would definitely skip Segway tour. Walk around, see more than on this tour. I never took a horseback riding in Biltmore but a couple we know often do this activity. You can even bring your own horse (for a fee). Bistro is a great place fro lunch. We always had a nice buffet in Deerpark with variety of items. Although I wouldn't call that gourmet buffet but it is a nice option. If I had to decide then Bistro would win hands down.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
99 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any tips on visiting the Biltmore estate?

Hi all!

We're also trying to decide if the Biltmore can be seen in a day with our 12 & 10 y.o. kids. Sounds like even the winery could be fun for them (they usually roll eyes when Mom & Dad make these stops).

We'll be visiting during the Bele Chere festival in late July, so hoping to do Sat at the festival and Sun at the Biltmore (maybe all the crowds will be at the Festival if we're lucky!). These tips very helpful! Sounds like there are lots of choices for food & lodging near the Biltmore estate.

Has anyone done the audio tour? Is it worthwhile or can you just wander around and soak it all up on your own??

Chicago
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any tips on visiting the Biltmore estate?

The audio tour is an extra $10, but it is definitely worth it. You get a lot of info that you wouldn't get if you did it on your own. It was just under 2 hours, but you could still do it on your own pace if you want/

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
99 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any tips on visiting the Biltmore estate?

jomo22, glad to hear you enjoyed the audio tour! Is it a headset that you might be able to share with the family? For instance, if we're a family of 4, could we just get 2 and pass them back and forth??

Chicago
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any tips on visiting the Biltmore estate?

yes you could share. You can manually operate it, so you could repeat it for the other person.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
99 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any tips on visiting the Biltmore estate?

Thanks jomo22... more cash for a nicer lunch! Maybe the Corner Room... did you try it?

Chicago
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any tips on visiting the Biltmore estate?

no we did not. we packed a bottle of wine and a picnic lunch and ate on the grounds.

10. Re: Any tips on visiting the Biltmore estate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:41 am, June 18, 2013