We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apple Picking in NC

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
104 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Apple Picking in NC

Any recommendations for U-pick apple orchards? I have two young children who would enjoy picking apples. However, any apple orchards that provide activities in addition to apple picking would be best. Thanks in advance.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Apple Picking in NC

Most of the orchards in the Hendersonville area ( apple country) are commercial and a lot of the apples are already picked. Mexican immigrants are hired to harvest them. Someone on here may know of a place that will let you pick, but I don't know of one. I think by this time of the year, it will be "slim pickins". Best wishes.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Apple Picking in NC

Well low and behold - you might be in luck. Check out this link.....

historichendersonville.org/apple_orchards.htm

Hendersonville, NC
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Apple Picking in NC

Sorry if this is a bit late. Lyda Farms, nine miles outside of Hendersonville on Hwy 64 East, (Chimney Park Rd). Deb has an excellent program and tour there for children, plus you can pick your own apples! Also Stepp Orchards. Continue past Lyda Farms, turn right onto next state road, which is Pace Road, drive approx 1 1/2 miles to Stepp's, which is on right. Also Greg and Lisa Nix. Continue on Hwy 64 East to Mills Gap Rd, turn right. Proceed to 2nd paved road (Bearwallow Road), turn right. Drive aprox. 2 miles, follow signs, apple shed is on left. They host apple blossom hayrides through the orchards. I hope you are coming this year! Picking starts in August for most varieties!

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apple Picking in NC

Every October, the Apple Festival is held in Boone, NC. It used to be held on the grounds of Horn in the West/Hickory Ridge Homestead, but I haven't been since I was little. It was always a lot of fun for us kids. Lots of apple treats, apple-themed contests, crafts, etc. 828-264-2120 for more info about this year's festivities.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
104 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apple Picking in NC

lisabelle30 - Actually, we are coming back this October to pick apples and to visit relatives. We had so much fun last year we decided to do the trip again. We ended up going to Sky Top Orchards - fun, there were still apples left for picking and they were delicious! Thanks for the info about the other orchards. I wil check into them.

Fort Myers, Fl
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Apple Picking in NC

Odymom, You can get info on Skytop Orchards at www.skytoporchard.com. They have a complete apple picing schedule and a lot of good recipes.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Apple Picking in NC

And, we found J.H. Stepps' Hillcrest Orchard on Pace Rd off HWY 64 - headed up that way now for the Apple Festival! Best wishes.

8. Re: Apple Picking in NC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 19, 2009