We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Ridge Parkway

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Ridge Parkway

How is the drive in the winter? Where does it begin/end and how long will it take?

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,029 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

go to www.blueridgeparkway.org

This will tell you everything you need to know.

Note it's .org NOT .com

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

A lot of stretches are closed during the winter. Quite a bit of the parkway in Boone/Blowing Rock is closed when the weather is bad, which was most of the season last year. I have a friend who lives right off of the parkway in Blowing Rock so I drove many times on the open parts last winter, and it was treacherous. It is beautiful though.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

The parkway begins in northwestern VA and ends at Cherokee, NC - more than 400 miles. If the weather gets bad and they close parts of it, you will be re-routed on state roads around the closed portions.

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Incorrect. You will not be rerouted by signage. You can take detours to travel around the closed areas, but there will not be signage in most areas. You will have to rely on hard-to-find county maps or locals. It is worth a try though.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Sorry to disagree friend - I've driven the parkway for over 30 years - they definitely will alert you if the parkway is closed and you will be re-routed off the parkway....I do agree they will not post signage the entire route of the detour, but most of the detours will be on major roads where you can often drive a while and re-connect ( unless there is a widespread, major storm).

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

That is untrue in the northern NC areas. You may get a "Road Closed Ahead" sign, but that is all. No detour signs, no rerouting by signage whatsoever. And most of the roads you are connected to are out-of-the-way local roads, like Aho (in Blowing Rock), where most tourists would feel lost. From there, you would have to travel Aho to 321 to 105 extension to 421 just to get back on the parkway. This is not an easy route, and there are no markers. And even then, the parkway could again be closed north of North Wilkesboro.

I'm not looking for a peeing match here. There is no reason to mislead someone who is looking for information on roads that are untraveled and unknown to them. I am FROM the area. I drive these roads every day.

When is the last time you were on the parkway in northern NC in the wintertime when there is 6 inches of new-fallen snow on the ground? If it was before 1986, you may be correct, but things have changed since then.

In closing, come to the NC moutains and stay a few nights. You will love the Boone/Blowing Rock area in winter. Venture onto the parkway during the day, but avoid at night, as it tends to get even slippier. And try not to plan too much of your road trip on the parkway. With all the closings, it is just too iffy in the winter. Enjoy!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

I'm not here to argue. No need to be so curt. We can all post what we have experienced.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

gnodule, bud and others:

6 inches of new snow - man, I drive to work in that on many winter days in Canada! :)

I will be prepared and get the most detailed map I can find, but the no signage is upsetting. We will have to keep a close eye on the weather and play it by ear. Last winter was brutal in Ontario; let's hope for a repreive.

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

itryalot: You are right! When I lived in Cleveland, it was 'nothing' as well. Boy was I glad to move back down south and escape the 3 months of non-stop snow. But I do miss those cool lake breezes every summer.

In Boone, 6 inches is nothing. But the NC highway budget doesn't set aside much money for scraping/slagging on the parkway, so they will generally leave it untouched during the winter. Especially the areas that are untraveled by the locals. This stinks for a lot of commuters, because it is a shortcut from Blowing Rock to Wilkesboro.

At any rate, it is still do-able. Just get a map, or better yet, some directions from locals. We are always helping to reroute drivers in the winter. Enjoy!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

I thought you lived in Hickory(?)