We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Asheville

Tampa
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Christmas in Asheville

I want to go to Asheville this Christmas with my husband, 17 year old son, 21 year old daughter and her boyfriend. We would like to go snow skiing and tubing also. How far from Asheville are the ski resorts? Should we stay in Asheville for 3 to 4 days then stay at a ski resort for 3 days? Do the resorts always get snow? I have never been in North Carolina in the winter. We live in Tampa, FL.

What hotel is the best for Christmas? I am willing to splurg for Christmas.

Any other suggestions for Christmas?

Thanks

Tampa
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Asheville

Hi, It's me again. I forgot to ask about the ski resorts. Which is the best. If we were to stay at or near the resort for 3 days I would like to be in or near a town with character. We like shopping, people watching etc. That is why I want to stay in Asheville for 3 to 4 days, it's great!!!

Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Asheville

golly, I think it will probably be tough to find snow, let alone good snow around Christmas very close to Asheville. Your best bet may be up in the Boone/Banner Elk area for skiing. This is about 1.5-2hrs from Asheville. The majority of the snow will probably be machine made. We tend to get more snow in Jan/Feb than in December.

I think it would be neat to stay at the Grove Park Inn for a few days...see the hundreds of Gingerbread houses...have a drink in front of the huge fireplace...go to the spa...have some great meals...

If you really want snow and a more winter wonderland experience you'll probably need to go much further north (Vermont) or out west like Colorado.

Tampa
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Asheville

Thanks, The reason I picked NC is because we love Asheville. My daughter has never been there. What would be another ski resort in Vermont or Colorado that is close to or in a town with the atmosphere like Asheville. We would like a cool (kinda Hippie like) atmosphere.

I checked on GrovePark inn and was surprised that they still have rooms. If we go there that is where we will stay. Beautiful does not discribe the place.

Thanks lots.

I love this site.

Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Asheville

The only skiing I have done in Colorado was Steamboat Springs and quite liked it. You might want to post on some of those forums in Colorado and VT to see which places people recommend.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Asheville

Skiing is also available at Cataloochee Ski Area in Maggie Valley. Maggie is about 45 minutes from Asheville. As with the other ski resorts, much of the snow will probably be man-made.

I'm not sure about Asheville hotels, but I'd probably go for a cabin rental. Much cozier and private, although without room service.

Have a great trip!

Cullowhee, NC
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Asheville

I also recommend the Cataloochee Ski Area. You can also see elk and other wildlife in that area. Maggie Valley is a charming little town as well as Waynesville and Sylva. They all have shopping and coffee shops and restaurants where you can sit and watch people on Main Street in all three towns. These towns are very small and quaint and you will only be about 45 minutes from the bustle and shopping of Asheville. Have a great vacation!

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in Asheville

I would also include Dillsboro in the mix - just 2 miles west of Sylva and it is decked out for the holidays. Cataloochee does make snow when it is cold enough. It is decent snow sports and the snow tubing there is fun. Free sledding can be found at Socco Gape where US 19 meets the Blue Ridge Parkway.

There are plenty of great places to stay in Maggie, Sylva and Dillsboro if this is the path you take.

But like we tell our guests, if you really want to see a lot of snow, Boone and Banner Elk are perhaps a better bet. if you want to see some snow man made or heaven sent, then there are places around here you might be able to find it like the National Park.

Tampa
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas in Asheville

I am going to check out the boone area. My son and daughter really want SNOW since we live in Florida. I think that we will go to Asheville first and then head up to the Boone area. I am hoping to stay at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville. Any suggestions in Boone?

Thanks for all the help.

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas in Asheville

Just some thoughts:

There will not be reliable natural snow at any NC resorts at Christmas time, but best bets for decent skiing and tubing are Beech Mountain and Sugar, both of which are near Banner Elk. Banner Elk is 20 miles and a traffic nightmare away from Boone due to construction and ski traffic, so look for a hotel or cottage rental in Banner Elk or Newland. Wolf Laurel and Cataloochie are both closer to Asheville, but less reliable snow pack in December.

At Christmas time, the lobby of the Grove Park Inn and the Biltmore House are the most croweded places in western NC. Admittedly, the Biltmore House in its Christmas decor is breathtaking by any standards, but if you go, go as early as possible in the day before the lines get VERY long and ,better yet, wait until the day after Christmas or several days after..New Years Day is my favorite..all the decorations, none of the crowds.

You DONT have to stay at the Grove Park Inn to wander the lobbies, look at the gingerbread house contest entries and enjoy a scotch or a hot chocolate loaded with whipped cream in a rocking chair in front of the giant fireplaces in the lobby. The rooms are not comparable to the other amenities, so unless you also want to drop a wad of money at the Spa, I would stay at a cabin or B&B in town and visit the GPI.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas in Asheville

A possible solution to your delima. Stay in Asheville and check out the weather. If there is good snow head to Banner Elk or if there is snow in Cataloochee head there. The drawback to this would be the drive from Asheville to Banner Elk. The upside to this is, if there is snow pack at Cataloochee you need not go very far...

have fun....