We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Atlanta to Asheville - Recommended Routes?

Ottawa, Ontario
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Atlanta to Asheville - Recommended Routes?

Hi -

I am planning to visit Asheville for a long weekend, driving in from Atlanta. Any recommended scenic driving routes?

Thanks,

Christine

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Atlanta to Asheville - Recommended Routes?

If you are not in a big hurry I have a scenic route.

Take 85 east from Atlanta. Exit at exit 148 and go north on 441. Take 441 through Clayton and take highway 246 just before the Noth Carolina state line. This is where the nice secnery starts. Take it into Highlands NC. Go south on highway 64. The scenery is breathtaking along here. Lots of waterfalls right along side the road.

When you get to Franklin take 441 to 74 then to Asheville. Will take you maybe 2 hours longer than taking eway to Asheville.

Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Atlanta to Asheville - Recommended Routes?

I go to the ATL area from Asheville quite frequently on business. The quickest route is I-85North to I-26 to Asheville - but it is deadly boring, especially the LONG stretch of I-85. I prefer to get onto 985 to 441 to 23 to I-40 to 240 into Asheville. This takes you through some very pretty areas like Tallulah Gorge, Clayton and Dillsboro all in GA where it is easy to stop and do a bit of sightseeing, have a snack/meal and a cup of coffee and even shop. There are also many towns along the route that are an easy detour for an hour or two like Sylva and Waynesville. There are some pretty views in many of the area around North Georgia and of course when you get into NC.

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Atlanta to Asheville - Recommended Routes?

Another route that is reasonably fast and scenic is to take the first SC exit heading N on I-85 from Atlanta ( SC Exit 1) and take SC Hwy 11- The Cherokee Scenic Highway- heading east along the base of the Blue Ridge Escarpment,all the way to the intersection with US 25 just north of Travelers Rest,SC. Then take US 25 up the Saluda Grade to I-26, and follow I-26 West the last 25 miles to Asheville. All good roads, a 3 hour trip from the I-985 turnoff on the NW side of Atlanta.

4. Re: Driving from Atlanta to Asheville - Recommended Routes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:24 am, October 09, 2009