We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road condition, I-26.

mariaorohct
5 posts
Save Topic
Road condition, I-26.

Hi!

I'm going to Asheville very soon and I have a question about I-26. How bad is it? A friend of mine says it's a mountain road and I may need a more reliable car (I drive Chevy 2001) to drive on. Satellite pictures indeed show "a lot of greens" but I don't think I need an SUV or more "powerful" car just to pass that mountainous part. Who's right?

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,953 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Road condition, I-26.

I don't. Why would you expect any problems?

mariaorohct
5 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Road condition, I-26.

Then, I guess I'll take 25 to I-26. I just want to avoid steep hills.

United States
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Road condition, I-26.

Problems as in not being able to go up steep hills...

Western North...
Level Contributor
407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Road condition, I-26.

I-26 is a big interstate. I am not sure why anyone would think you'd to have a certain kind of car to drive it...

There is a steep grade at one point (Saluda) but it is not so steep that you would have to re-route.

I was in a 4 cyl station wagon in the 80's that went VERY SLOW up the grade, but my mom just drove in the right lane. It was painfully embarrassing to us kids, but did not last long. LOL!

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Road condition, I-26.

We come from southeast GA, but if I go the SC route, I go to Augusta, GA on 25/121, they stay on 121 to Newberry, SC and I-26. It seems that the quicker you can get on an interstate, the shorter your trip will be.

16. Re: Road condition, I-26.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:24 am, September 28, 2009