We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking

Somerset
1 post
Save Topic
Smoking

I am visiting North Carolina next week from England hoping to be staying in Ashville, really looking forward to the trip. As a smoker, I suffer persecution at home, and am prohibited from smoking just about everywhere; does anybody know what the attitude towards smoking is in North Carolina in bars / hotels / restaurants etc?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking

Hotels: Most have separate smoking and nonsmoking halls. Some chains however are now completely smoke-free. Best to check with the specific hotel you are staying at. You shouldn't have trouble finding a place to stay for smokers...but it's something that should be asked about when booking.

Bars/Nightclubs: Most are still smoking...but not all. (If by chance it's smoke-free it would likely state so at the door.) Some of the larger ones will have separate sections.

Restaurants: Varies widely. Most places in decent-sized cities like Asheville will now be smoke-free. Virtually all small cafe's and bistros will be smoke-free for sure. The larger restaurants may have a small smoking area in the bar or outside if they have an outdoor eating area. But that really just depends on the place.

Other public buildings: Airports, museums, art galleries, shops, shopping malls, train stations, hospitals, etc, will all be smoke-free by now.

Western North...
Level Contributor
407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking

NC is nothing like California (or in your case England) with their cigarette bans, after all tobacco is one of our biggest money making crops, but slowly most places are pushing the smoker out doors. Ironically, smokers are getting more fresh air then non-smokers these days! LOL

Most restaurants that have a bar will allow smoking. And some of those will let you smoke only after 9 or 10 PM. Best bet is to find somewhere you can eat outdoors.

There are a number of restaurants with outdoor seating.

HTH

Louisville, Ky
Level Contributor
732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking

If you are looking to stay downtown, forget it! Outside of the Day's Inn, which gets really bad reviews, I have not been able to find a smoking room.

Ohio City, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking

I was just in Asheville and the Cracker Barrel had both smoking and non smoking sections. Do not know if that is some place you are interested in visiting but my aunt loves the place.

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking

I am assuming that they have already left for the trip... Maybe they have a Laptop all good ino

6. Re: Smoking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:23 am, September 27, 2009