We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Woman Downtown

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
charlotte, nc
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Single Woman Downtown

Hi,

I am going to be in Asheville for a few days and wondered how safe it is to walk around (not late - no later than 11ish) alone at night downtown. Anything to avoid?

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single Woman Downtown

Like anyplace there are probably parts of a city that you may want to avoid, but before 11pm and in the populated areas, you should be safe. I have walked around by myself and never felt afraid.

Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single Woman Downtown

The area around Pritchard Park can be a bit sketchy, but recently they've stationed a police officer/ranger there so it should be better. Keep to well lit areas and major streets and you'll be fine.

Western North...
Level Contributor
407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single Woman Downtown

There are usually people out walking around downtown until late. Stick to the main streets and you will be fine. I lived downtown for 6 years in the building next to Tressa's (above Anandas) and walked to and from work (leaving at 3-4 AM) every day with large amounts of money.

I don't particularly like the parking lot area by the Orange Peel, but nothing has ever happened that I know of there.... I also don't like walking in front of the Windsor at night by myself, but feel comfortable on the other side of the street. Some of the alleys sketch me out at night.... but like I said nothing has ever happened to me in any of them. The main streets are well lit and populated...stick to them and you will be fine.

Asheville is a friendly and fun city. Hope you enjoy your stay!

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single Woman Downtown

I would say its your own risk anything can happen anywhere if it feels unsafe do not risk it its better to be safe than sorry like everyone says its pretty save compared to.....

charlotte, nc
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Single Woman Downtown

Thanks all for the replies. Are the parking garages ok at night? I am staying on Tunnel Road and will be driving in at night to go to dinner (free hilton points). I guess I sound paranoid---but in a lot of cities the parking garages are the most dangerous.

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single Woman Downtown

May I ask where on Tunnel Rd that you are staying? ( I might have missed it)so that I can give you a better answer of what I think

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single Woman Downtown

Homewood or Hampton?

charlotte, nc
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Single Woman Downtown

Homewood - Also - any suggestions for glass of wine/dinner by myself? Unless any of you nice people are going to be downtown!!!!!

charlotte, nc
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Single Woman Downtown

not sure that came across right----kind of a joke

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Single Woman Downtown

There are really alot of places on Tunnel Rd I am asuming that you do not want to get to far away from Homewood ? What type of food do you like?