We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two 31 year old women visiting asheville 8/10-8/12

Raleigh, NC
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Two 31 year old women visiting asheville 8/10-8/12

Hello all,

My friend and I are coming to Asheville for a little fun and inexpensive trip.. Does anyone have any suggestions of places to go - bars, food, music.. ect..or stay (on the super-cheap)..

There is a show at the Biltmore (Chris Issak) that weekend..I am also wondering.. do people sell tickets outside the show? :)

thank you!!!!

Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two 31 year old women visiting asheville 8/10-8/12

I guess you have never been to the Biltmore? I just can't picture someone scalping tickets outside the gates of the Biltmore. It is about a 2 mile drive from the front gates, where you'd have to present your tickets, to the actual show cite.

As far as suggestions for some of your other questions:

-entertainment and music - mountainxpress.com or the weekend section (take 5) of the citizen-times.com

-for food chowhound.com

-for places to stay I'd priceline it ...there are all different ranges of hotels, motels and B&B's here.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two 31 year old women visiting asheville 8/10-8/12

I'd say check out the Days Inn in downtown. It's within walking distance of the vast majority of Asheville's hip restaurants, nightclubs, bars, cafes, shops, etc. That way you don't have to worry about parking (the hotel has it's own lot) nor would you have to worry about a designated driver once you leave any of those bars or nightclubs. Literally, you step right out of the hotel onto the sidewalk, and you'll run into one place after another. And it's a Days Inn, which are pretty cheap, usually.

Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two 31 year old women visiting asheville 8/10-8/12

DAYS INN!!! NO WAY!!! that place is too sketchy for two women. There was a post somewhere recently about a single woman who stayed there and moved after one night because it was so bad.

At the very least try Best Western!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two 31 year old women visiting asheville 8/10-8/12

The Best Western Asheville Biltmore (which, despite its name, is smack in downtown, right between the Merrimon and Charlotte St. exits off I-240) is a bit on the sketchy side as well. I stayed there for a few nights eleven years ago around the time I got married in Asheville, and it was on its way downhill then -- haven't seen much evidence from the outside that it's improved, and the reviews here are fairly discouraging. It's #50 of 54 hotels in Asheville on TA's popularity index, even below the Days Inn at #48, which I agree would be a bad idea for two women or, for that matter, two anything. Even worse, the other 4 hotels aren't ranked, meaning that the Best Western Asheville Biltmore has the lowest ranking of the hotels that actually show up in the rankings. My subjective judgment is that the Best Western is likely to be slightly safer and cleaner, but only slightly, and I would probably camp in my car before staying at either (but then I'm male).

Unfortunately, there's not much that's cheap in Asheville this time of year. To even get to reasonably priced, you have to get pretty far out of the downtown area, or go way down the safety/cleanliness scale.

Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two 31 year old women visiting asheville 8/10-8/12

I really don't think you have to get that far out of town for reasonably priced. In the Biltmore Village area there is a Baymont and HI Express - this is about 2-2.5 mi from downtown and along Tunnel Road (about the same distance) there are several others including a new Springhill Suites and Embassy Suites. There are also a number of B&B's that often offer specials at that time of year or I would try the Princess Anne of Charlotte St.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two 31 year old women visiting asheville 8/10-8/12

Reasonably priced, no. But she did say "on the super-cheap", not "reasonably priced". To me, that means "less than about $80-$90/night" for a hotel room in most parts of the U.S. And that ain't happenin' anyplace near downtown Asheville that I'd want to stay.

Dayton
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Two 31 year old women visiting asheville 8/10-8/12

My wife and I stop is Asheville on our way to Myrtle Beach and we like to stay at the Hampton Inn on Rocky Rd. It is reasonably priced and seems to be well taken care of. Also, it is not too far from downtown Asheville and/or The Biltmore Estate. If you go to the Biltmore Estate I highly recommend eating at The Bistro near the Winery. Have Fun!

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two 31 year old women visiting asheville 8/10-8/12

I would check www.roomsaver.com and travelcoupons.com for hotel coupons. You need to read the fine print on them... some are only good sun-thur, some add $10 or so for weekends. It is a walk in rate only, and based on availability, but gives you an idea of the "cheaper" hotels.

Downtown asheville is alive most every night now, but for kicks I would make sure you are downtown in Pritchard Park Friday night for the drum circle. It is loads of fun. People from all walks of life and ages attend, even if just for a few minutes, but they stop at 10 PM.

A trip to Asheville isn't complete without couple beers at Barley's. It is the choosing from the 24 taps that is hard. http://www.barleystaproom.com/asheville/

Check out an Asheville Tourists Baseball game. $7 general admission, should be a good crowd on Sat nite. Beers in 24oz cans cost $5.00 Game time 7PM If you are downtown before the game, Mamacitas Mexican Grill http://www.mamacitasgrill.com/ has huge burritos for $6-8. Actually if you can decide on 1, two women can share it. Yeah it is that big.

Hope you have a great time!

Raleigh, NC
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Two 31 year old women visiting asheville 8/10-8/12

Thank you all for your suggestions! We really appreciate it : )

10. Re: Two 31 year old women visiting asheville 8/10-8/12

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, September 07, 2009