We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Asheville to Williamsburg, VA - Help?

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Asheville to Williamsburg, VA - Help?

On the map this looks like a long way and we're on our honeymoon so don't really want to get fractious with each other because we've been stuck in a car too long.

So to all you locals that travel the area regularly - what are the best roads to take to get from Asheville to Williamsburg? Are there any sites to see on the way? Is it better to split it over two days with a stop in Raleigh (or equivalent) or is it really just better to get it all done in one day?

Asheville is a must, as is Williamsburg so am really looking for help in making the drive between them as pleasant as possible.

Really appreciate any help. Thanks!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Asheville to Williamsburg, VA - Help?

Well, the normal route will be I-40 to I-85 north to Petersburg/Hopewell, VA. Then you take highway 5 into Williamsburg. You are talking 9-11 hours drive. Along the way you could stop in Winston-Salem and visit the restored Moravian town of Old Salem - very nice. Stopping in Raleigh is a little off the beaten path but not too bad a detour .Nice museums to see downtown. Best wishes.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Asheville to Williamsburg, VA - Help?

Bud is right on the route to take: I-40 East to I-85 North And Old Salem in Winston-Salem should be a very good place for a stop to look around and stretch your legs (even though it's not yet halfway along your journey).

All you have to do to get there is when you approach WinstonSalem, take Business 40 (with the green shield, also known as US 421 South) to go thru downtown and there are exits for Old Salem. After that, it's back on the same highway towards Greensboro to pick up I-85.

Stopping in Raleigh would be considerably off your route. However Durham would be another option to stop. There's the Duke University Campus with their chapel and botanical gardens. Also Eno River State Park is right off I-85, which is real nice if you like outdoor stuff.

3. Re: Driving Asheville to Williamsburg, VA - Help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 pm, September 01, 2009