We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gunnison to Buena Vista via Pitkin and Tincup?

Which Gunnison hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southwest Louisiana
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gunnison to Buena Vista via Pitkin and Tincup?

I would like to take a day trip from Gunnison to Buena Vista and was hoping I could take the route through Pitkin, over Cumberland Pass to Tincup then across Cottonwood pass to Buena Vista.

Is this a route that I can take in a passenger car? If so, how long can I expect it to take?

Thanks.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,852 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gunnison to Buena Vista via Pitkin and Tincup?

Yes it is doable in a passenger car. If you are renting, make sure that your rental agreement does not prohibit off paved road driving. We did this pass with our 4x4 Dodge Truck in just 2 wheel drive!

Don't try to drive from Pitkin up to the Alpine Tunnel, very scary! Also don't take Tincup Pass from Tincup to St Elmo, this is a 4x4 route.

I don't remember how long it took, maybe an hour or so from Pitkin to Tincup, another hour or so to Buena Vista. In Tincup go visit the interesting cemetery with 4 different sections.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,423 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gunnison to Buena Vista via Pitkin and Tincup?

It's a great and interesting drive. Sometimes the Tincup side is washboard especially after heavier rains so the driving will be SLOW but the side going to Buena Vista is no problem.

3. Re: Gunnison to Buena Vista via Pitkin and Tincup?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 05, 2010