We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good camping near Gunnison for a 38 ft rv

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
good camping near Gunnison for a 38 ft rv

We would appreciate any advice on where to camp one night on our way from Durango to Salida. We would prefer to camp somewhere between Montrose and Gunnison and are willing to stray off Hwy 50 some if it would mean more activities and/or scenery. Any additional ideas to do with children ages 8-12 would be appreciated - especially guided fishing (?stream).

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,292 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good camping near Gunnison for a 38 ft rv

I was going to say Black Canyon of the Gunnison campground, but when I looked at it, 35' RV is max. That leave Curecanti Nat Rec Area. Visit the nps.gov website.

Hope this helps.

Southwest
Level Contributor
332 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good camping near Gunnison for a 38 ft rv

Have you considered using the KOA Campground site west (just before you get to) Gunnison, CO?

There are quality fishing stream waters further north of Gunnison (Gold Medal Trout waters and Gunnison campgrounds (National Forest Service) particularly on the northend of Gunnison Reservior.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: good camping near Gunnison for a 38 ft rv

Thanks for the suggestions - we will look into those two campgrounds.

North Platte...
Level Contributor
366 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good camping near Gunnison for a 38 ft rv

Howdy newcampers,

11 miles north of Gunnison is the wonderfull little town of Almont.

I personally have never camped there.

There are some really nice reviews on some of the campgrounds there like: Three Rivers Resort

They are located along on some of the best gold medal streams in Colorado.

Do a google on Almont, CO.

I doubt you would be disappointed.

Happy Trails

SandBilly

5. Re: good camping near Gunnison for a 38 ft rv

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, September 01, 2009