We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel time from IAH to Beaumont

Which Beaumont hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel time from IAH to Beaumont

How long by car via 1960, then 90 to Beaumont?

Are the stop lights synchronized for the speed limit on 1960?

We would like to see the swallow tail Kites between Dayton and Liberty.

Thank you!

14 replies to this topic
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel time from IAH to Beaumont

According to Google maps, it's about 76 miles and 1 hr, 31 minutes. I doubt that lights are synchronized, but anything is possible. Most of the traffic going to Beaumont now takes I-10, which is a much easier drive, with far less heavy truck traffic. Take extra care on US 90 because of the traffic.

Have a good and safe trip.

Beaumont, Texas USA
Destination Expert
for Beaumont
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel time from IAH to Beaumont

Hi, polycoder --

I drive that route often! The mileage from IAH to Beaumont via FM 1960 to Hwy 90 is indeed 76 miles, and drive time usually about 1 hr. 45 min. with no stops. I don't agree with Gene T about that route carrying less heavy truck traffic than I-10, however. I'd say it's the opposite! You do have to deal with occasional local farm trucks, but I've never had problems driving that way. For me, it's a good road and an easy drive compared to the Interstate!

Hope you see the kites -- they are beautiful and amazing birds! Had a pair hanging around some very tall pine trees in our back yard last summer.

You might enjoy downloading and printing the Checklist of Texas Birds. You can find it on the Texas Parks & Wildlife website:

…state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_…

Parks & Wildlife did a survey on the kites a few years ago. Not sure the brochure from that is still available online, but I saved a copy of the PDF. Send me your email as a private message and I'll send it to you. Although the survey project is long past, it has some good info about nesting sites and locating birds you might find of interest.

Happy Travels!

NOTE: Traffic signals in the heavily traveled areas of FM 1960 appear to be synced, but in the more rural areas, that is not the case. You'll find lights and reduced speed limits in most of the small communities along that route.

Edited: 4:52 pm, March 14, 2014
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel time from IAH to Beaumont

Thanks for clarification, Deb...the last time I went that way, there was very heavy semi traffic just east of I-610 for about 10 miles, so I assumed it lasted quite a way. I defer to you, as you have more direct and more recent experience.

Beaumont, Texas USA
Destination Expert
for Beaumont
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel time from IAH to Beaumont

You may be thinking of Alt US 90! I agree on that, but this traveler will leave IAH and head east on FM 1960 to join HY 90 in Dayton, TX. They will not have to deal with that part of town at all.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel time from IAH to Beaumont

You're absolutely right--I picked up Hwy 90 at I-610, so it must have been 90 Alt. Again, thanks for clarification.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel time from IAH to Beaumont

I too take 1960 to 90 to head out East - a lot shorter for me that having to go all the way to I-10. I too think I-10 has more 18 wheelers. To me from the house to I-10 at Beaumont is an easy 90 minute drive. You have t be careful - there are two tricky turns - one in Dayton and the other ?? (maybe Liberty) - so pay attention to the road signs.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel time from IAH to Beaumont

Thanks to all for the driving tips.

However I am still confused when and where to get on to 1960.

I see going east on Clayton from IAH, go under 59, take a left and follow this "service road" to 1960, or is there an entrance to 59 North near Clayton, then north on 59 and then there will be an exit to 1960?

I do the Google map figurine icon and I don't see any appropriate entrance nor exit.

Is it me or the map visuals outdated?

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel time from IAH to Beaumont

Polycoder--I'm copying the exact step-by-step directions from google maps. See if this answers your questions:

George Bush Intercontinental Airport

2800 N Terminal Rd

Houston, TX 77032

1. Head west on N Terminal Rd 0.6 mi

2. Turn right onto S Terminal Rd 1.3 mi

3. Continue onto Will Clayton Pkwy 6.4 mi

4. Turn left onto Atascocita Road 3.4 mi

5. Turn right onto FM 1960 Rd E 17.3 mi

6. Turn right onto N Cleveland St 0.2 mi

7. Turn left onto Hwy 90 E/US-90 E 46.3 mi

8. Turn left onto S 11th St 0.7 mi

9. Turn right onto Smart St 0.1 mi

10. Take the 1st left onto Oxford St 0.2 mi

Beaumont, TX (etc., etc.)

Hopefully this will answer your questions, but if not, go to maps.google.com, put in IAH (George Bush Intercontinental Airport) as your starting point and Beaumont as your destination. A map will come up, but the route will be via I-10. You should just place the pointer on the roadway and move it to Hwy 90, and the map will recalculate all the directions, along with the map.

Good luck.

Beaumont, Texas USA
Destination Expert
for Beaumont
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel time from IAH to Beaumont

You can use the step-by-step route given above -- Will Clayton Parkway to Atascocita Rd to FM 1960 -- but I think it's much easier to turn north on the Hwy 59/Eastex Freeway service road (1.7 miles), then turn right onto FM 1960 E.

Here's what I hope is a link to a Google map of that route from IAH to Dayton:

http://goo.gl/maps/pt3Yu

Beaumont, Texas USA
Destination Expert
for Beaumont
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel time from IAH to Beaumont

It appears my route modification is not showing on the map. Will try to fix and post new link!

Reply to: Travel time from IAH to Beaumont
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Beaumont