We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do the local way?

Wilderness, South...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What to do the local way?

Hi there guys, I am coming for my first visit to the states and have set my sights on Texas. I will be travelling on my own, so woman alone can sometimes cause some issues. It will be in August this year and I have been warned about the heat, but coming from South Africa, heat is really not a problem.

I would like to get some real local vibes. I have decided not to set an itinerary, but rather just do the travel by feel. I will do the tourist attraction, but would rather like the local feel. What can you guys suggest; I am not in a rush.

Where would a woman on her own go, stay and do. I generally travel on my own. Meeting people will not be the problem, it’s just about where do I go. I am not a youngster wanting to party all the time, but fun will definitely be had!

5 replies to this topic
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,489 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do the local way?

Given what you've said in your other posts, I must ask---why Beaumont of all places? I think (and I say this as a person who has lived in nearby Port Arthur years ago; I even bought my wedding dress in Beaumont) that you will get much more out of your trip through Texas concentrating on some of the other places people have mentioned in your other posts. Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth, Big Bend National Park and other west Texas sights have more to offer for a tourist than Beaumont.

Wilderness, South...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do the local way?

Trying to do a circular rout, don't know tx so if u can come up with ideas for me, please. Just wanna let the hair down and have some good old fashion fun.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,489 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do the local way?

Check your post on the road trips forum--I gave one (of many there could be) option of a circular route through Texas. It's certainly not totally inclusive, but will give you a place to start working with driving distances and times, routes, etc. Let me know what you think of that one.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,498 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do the local way?

The best is the Austin/San Antoino/Houston triangle. More relaxing would be Austin/San Antonio and Hill Country area. Houston has all the big things, NASA, opera, theater, museums,shopping etc. but along with that comes miles of concrete roadways, heavy traffic etc.

up to the Dallas Fort Worth area if you have the time

San Antonio and Austin will give you a great cross section of 'Texas' things. Honkey Tonks, BBQ, Tex Mex, Mexican culture-food, music, history etc.

Edited: 4:48 am, April 05, 2013
Vidor, Texas
Level Contributor
467 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do the local way?

While there are a lot of "museums" in Beaumont, not really worth it in my opinion. San Antonio, Dallas, Hill Country are the better places. Even Galveston would be better.

Reply to: What to do the local way?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Beaumont