We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October visit

Bristol
Level Contributor
172 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
October visit

We are from the uk and are visiting texas for 3 weeks in October 2013.

We are thinking of driving from San Antonio to big bend, I know it's a long haul so if anyone can suggest things to see on the way and if possible a different route for the return journey.

How long should we stay in the park and where to stay?

Finally any advice on things to do would help, we are thinking a hike, cycle ride( will need to rent bikes) and if possible a canoe trip. We would also like to do some stargazing and visit the McDonald observatory.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,316 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October visit

First thing to do is check for accommodation within the park. Unless you camp, there is only one place to stay within BBNP--Chisos Mountain Lodge. They begin accepting reservations a year in advance, so they may be fully booked. Some people stay in Marathon, but that tiny town is an hour's drive from just the entrance to BBNP. Others might recommend Terlingua or Lajitas, but again you are not in the park itself. If the lodge is fully booked, keep checking--since they have to book so far in advance, people do cancel.

From San Antonio, I'd just stay on I-10 until Fort Stockton, where you turn south for Marathon and the park. Not much to see or do along the way. Depending on where you are headed after BBNP I'd say the same thing--I-10. Others might suggest going by 90 through Del Rio. Scenery isn't that much different, not too many stops to make, and you pick up some traffic lights along the way that slows things down. If you do this, Plan on a lunch stop in Del Rio. Either way, there aren't a lot of options for food or fuel; keep your eye on your gas tank. However, BBNP makes the long drive worth it--absolutely gorgeous.

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October visit

Some suggested resources:

www.bigbendmap.com

www.fortstockton.info

Flint Hills, Kansas
Level Contributor
74 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October visit

You will want to visit Santa Elena Canyon, Chisos Basin, and we took the Grapevine Trail hike which was nice to the balancing rock, all in the park.

4. Re: October visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 01, 2014